NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Inexpensive media streamer with comskip support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone know of an inexpensive media streamer that will support comskip cuts? I'm looking to replace an original xbox running xbmc with something capable of playing highdef media.
This is not a common feature because it's a niche market and I don't know any in the inexpensive player category. The Boxee Box because it is based on XBMC has it, of course there are the PCH's with NPVR, and SageTV extenders and XBMC (not full HD) with the original ATV. Plex might be coming too. For about the same money there is also XBMC on an ION.

For mpeg-ts skipping note that NPVR uses a proprietary format because many files don't really skip well. If the PCH is not for you, you will need a HD compatible PC for a client to take advantage of it.

Martin
Is the PCH A100 the only syabas device currently able to run npvr? Any hope for the POPBOX?

http://www.popbox.com/www/index.php/what...ech_specs/
All the first gen NMT's from Syabas (A100, A110, B110) and other companies like egreat that are true NMTs should support NPVR

I am not going out of my way to support the Popbox, it's a closed box (have you read about it on the avsforum? I like one nickname I read "Poopbox") but there is a possibility that the same code will run on it, so I don't want to tell you no now and find out later it works.

Martin
I haven't read anything about it, just like the price and figured it might have similar basic hardware as some of their other devices (and by extension receive npvr support). I currently have a PCH A100 but I consider it overkill for my needs. I have several tv's here that could use a streamer as well. I don't need a harddrive in them and hate paying the premium for the capability. I just want small, silent, networkable and low power consumption with comskip support. I have a media server / recording device, just need to get that content to all the other TV's in the house as cheaply and easily as possible. The comskip support seems to be the problem, if it wasn't for that requirement, there are several devices I could get in the approx $100 range...
Still, the refurb A110 are only $105. I'm not doing this by choice, there are other cheaper boxes that use the Realtek chip and also the Hauppauge MVP-HD but I haven't got the cooperation from other vendors needed to make this happen.

Martin
On a whim, I just picked up a new AppleTV, did the Greenpois0n RC6 untethered jailbreak and put XBMC on it. Seems to fit the bill so far, plays everything, skips the commercials. The only negative I can see so far is my recordings are mpegs (.ts) and they show interlacing when played. The port to iOS is still new so hopefully that will be sorted out in time.

Didn't I also see someone made a XBMC addon to interface with nPVR? (or was it GBPVR?) I'll have to take a look for it and see what it does...
Yes, the ATV2 is now also an option. If it stabilizes and they can can keep up with new versions with IOS, I read on Engadget this was a still a problem, I might do a real port of mvpmcx2

Martin
Now that would be perfect!!!