NextPVR Forums

Full Version: can't play m4v files on NMT through NPVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to be able to play m4v files on the NMT with NPVR. I can certainly play these directly on the NMT as a share or through myihome. If I try to play them from the NPVR videos menu, it either kicks me all the way back out to the NMT menu or back to the NPVR menu. I suspect I could just rename these to mp4 files and it would work. I would like to be able to keep the m4v extension though. The m4v extension appears to suggest the file may have multiple audio streams and chapter markers in the itunes, iphone and appletv ecosystem.

In a separate thread, Martin suspects that sub would need to add this extension to a hard coded list of extensions that can be streamed to the NMT.
To me, m4v means Apple DRM, but it also can contain AC3 so in theory I guess it needs its own container. The web server is restricted to a small subset of extensions that is different from the config.xml setting for display in the library. These are hard-coded so sub would have to make this change.

Could you also start a new thread for new topics, it makes it easier to find in the future, especially if sub has a patch.

Martin
I have the same problem, file is from iTunes. Can I assume that Apple DRM m4v do NOT play on anything other than an Apple Device?
jksmurf Wrote:I have the same problem, file is from iTunes. Can I assume that Apple DRM m4v do NOT play on anything other than an Apple Device?

With Airplay maybe not but my house is Apple and iTunes free right now so I really have no clue how and what is DRM'd.

Martin
Hi Martin,

Sorry post was too hasty. What I meant to ask was this:

While I understand that Apple removed Digital Rights Management (some sort of copyright restriction) from Music, I believe (not 100% sure) it remains on all Movies you download from iTunes (paid for).

I did just this the other day, bought a movie, and tried to play it in NPVR
- No dice via NPVR on the PC, although this may be decoders, as it plays fine in iTunes on the PC.
- No dice via NPVR on the PCH. Just jumps out.
- No dice on the PCH natively. Just jumps out.

I ended up playing it on my iPAD, but that's a wee bit small. Wife not impressed :-)

I just wanted to know if there is still DRM on iTunes m4v movies, and if iTunes and iPads and iPhones are really the ONLY devices that will play them. I don't really want to buy an AppleTV just for this.

Thanks

k.

btw did not Work on AirVideoServer to iPAD either.
Sorry I don't know.

Martin