NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Refurbing My PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Christmas present to self.....new AMD Phenom II x6 1090T with ASUS MB, 8GB of RAM and 64GB SSD for the main OS. Big Grin
I've been watching the MB and drooling for one but I will have to wait. Nice set up and what's not to like with an SSD? I'm sooooo jealous (and almost broke).
my bro just got the i5 760 [4cores appears as 8 cpu in taskman] with 8 gig etc and boy is that thing quiet/cool! Smile
the new cpu's are so nice about heat...[at least intel iCores]
i was thinking about putting one in a mini-itx chassis...Big Grin [a shoebox sized powerhouse!]

UJB, this means turbo development now right? Big Grin
[or rather for me, lightning fast mistakes..lol]
pBS Wrote:my bro just got the i5 760 [4cores appears as 8 cpu in taskman] with 8 gig etc and boy is that thing quiet/cool! Smile
the new cpu's are so nice about heat...[at least intel iCores]
i was thinking about putting one in a mini-itx chassis...Big Grin [a shoebox sized powerhouse!]

UJB, this means turbo development now right? Big Grin
[or rather for me, lightning fast mistakes..lol]

Looked at Intel processors....I have run AMD for a long time and have always been happy with the results....nothing against Intel though.....just like AMD.

Hopping to now be able to actually drop running GBPVR and move totally with NPVR running under W7 x64. My main house PC is a a VM running on VMWare Server so I will be running that plus one or two other dev boxes (vm's) that I will be able to fire up from time to time for development.

Also looking forward to some reasonable conversion times for converting recordings over to x264....

:-)
pBS Wrote:my bro just got the i5 760 [4cores appears as 8 cpu in taskman]
Are you sure? The i5 760 has no hyper threading technology, so it could be only 4 cores. Perhaps you're talking about the i7 860?

pBS Wrote:(...) that thing quiet/cool! Smile
Mhm... using my i5-760 currently within a Lian Li PC-Q08b and the boxed cooler. While running 'BOINC' (distributed computing) the temperature grows up to 99°C (at this temperature the i5 760 starts to throttle it's frequency) *suspect*. I have to exchange the cooler and check the seating. ^.^

pBS Wrote:i was thinking about putting one in a mini-itx chassis... [a shoebox sized powerhouse!]
Oh yeah, the only problem is to get good ITX Boards for these highend cpus. The ZOTAC ITX H55-C-E is a piece of jung. I got it at 23th december. Board is semidefect, BIOS buggy, S-ATA controllers are not fix, sometimes HDD can't be read, after standby/resume harddisks disappear from the system. Big Grin
You could choose the Intel Media Series DH57JG. This one is only specified to run dualcore cpus, but i can confirm that (at least with windows 7) an i5-760 is running very, very well. Smile

pBS Wrote:UJB, this means turbo development now right? Big Grin
Mhm, i would bet, more slowly development. XD In the internet i read a lot of times, that the AMD X6 often stops to work and just "freezes" after 2-3 days. *suspect*

UJB, how about some pictures of your machine? (really, i like pictures of selfmade pcs) ;D
yea, i think you're right on the cpu..i did see 8 cpu in task man...told him it was a bit of overkill for email and occasional 2d games...lol
i think it was $700 w/8gig and 1.5tb hdd and ati5450...not bad...added a bluray burner for 109..Smile
his box had stock cooler and ran really cool...i think 2 of his cpu will get lonely...[never getting *any* attention..lol]
he wanted future-proof...i think he's good for a while..
pBS Wrote:he wanted future-proof...i think he's good for a while..
If i compare with the intel q6600, then yes: i am pretty sure he's very future proof. Even today the q6600 has more than enough power for main tasks (but is consuming a bit much power).

I have just replaced my mainboard for workstation 01. Zotac H55 ITX C-E is such a piece of crap... buggy, semidefect, low quality. Back again on an intel DH57JG (yes, it can drive a i5-760 even if intel doesn't allow quadcores on it). *buck* And using this situation, i replaced the stock cooler with a low height prolimatech samuel 17 with an EKL "alpenfoehn" 120 Wing Boost fan.
Yeah, nice temperaturedrop! Before: BOINC, 4 Tasks, 100% cpu usage = 99 °C and throtteled from 2.800 MHz down to 2.3xx MHz. Now: BOINC, 4 Tasks, 100% cpu usage = 59 °C and turbomode from 2.800 to 2.933 MHz. And all within my itx case. That was a good upgrade. Big Grin Cooler and fan have a total height of 8 centimetres. Within a LianLi PC-Q08 you can use coolers up to 11 centimetres.