NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hardware encoder needed for NPVR ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi!

last year, I tried to install GV-PVR 1.4.7 on my PC and it didn't work.

Sub explained that:

You cant use the HVR-1250 for analog with GB-PVR. It lacks the required hardware MPEG2 encoder. You can use it for digital though.

Is it still the case in NPVR?
Not nessesarily. If you install the SoftPVR package (mentioned in the "getting started" sticky thread in this forum) you will be able to use a capturecard without HW-encoder. Since your card is a Hauppauage I guess you already have the cd with the required software?
you won't have to jump through any hoops either... the HVR-1250 is supported by WinTV7 so you should be able to just install it and go.
Thank you both. I have wintv7 installed and working (live, capture and playback). Windows Media Center too.
ah, I see the problem. An HVR-1250 is half of an HVR-1800, but without a hardware encoder. NPVR can't tell the difference, since it's rules are based on the name of the capture filter, which is "Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture" in either case.

So, in the AnalogDevices.xml, you'll need to edit the existing definition for the HVR-1800:
Code:
    <Device filter="Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture">
        <Name>Hauppauge HVR-1800</Name>
        <Type>HARD_ENCODE</Type>
                <FilterEncoder>Hauppauge WinTV 885 Encoder</FilterEncoder>
    </Device>
and make it look like this instead:
Code:
    <Device filter="Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture">
        <Name>Hauppauge HVR-1250</Name>
        <Type>SOFT_ENCODE</Type>
    </Device>

I know it looks like you could just have both definitions in there, but the way I understand it you can only have one definition per device filter name. Sub may need to make some sort of change to allow multiple definitions per device filter name, with a way to select which 'flavor' is to be used when defining the capture source.
Thank you

it did not work.

Just in case: in my device manager, the card is named
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 (Model 79xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM)
Can you run Filtercheck.exe and post Filtercheck.log?
Here it is
Chapon Wrote:Here it is

The problem is probably that you have a french-language windows so the pin-names are not in english:
Code:
10:49:46.422    INFO    found: Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture
10:49:46.443    INFO     - (input)  Entrée vidéo analogique
10:49:46.443    INFO     - (input)  Analog Audio In
10:49:46.443    INFO     - (output) Capturer
10:49:46.443    INFO     - (output) Audio Out
10:49:46.444    INFO     - (output) VBI
Sub, would it help to download a en-us lang. driver?
ah, another user had the same sort of problem... he had Hungarian windows, and NPVR couldn't understand the pin names. Setting his windows language settings to english and installing a driver from the US web site didn't help, the pin names were still in Hungarian. Sub had to make a code change to make it work.
Pages: 1 2 3