NextPVR Forums

Full Version: User interface design
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Check out how stupid I am: I've been checking http://www.gbpvr.com every so often for over a year now, and reading the new replies to the announcement thread for GBPVR 1.4.7, waiting for news about a new version. It was only when one of the posters there described 1.4.7 as outdated that I looked again at the forum front page and realised my mistake. Maybe there could be a message about the name change on http://www.gbpvr.com? Anyway I'm glad to be using NPVR. It's even better.

I have two questions and two problem reports about the user interface. (I've only tried the default skin, so far.)

How do you exit full screen mode?

Can you scroll the TV guide left and right using the mouse?

Here is a really nit-picking point: when you double-click a program in TV guide, then click record, you can change the recording type (daily, weekly, etc) by clicking two little left-right arrows. But if you click one of them twice without waiting in between then nothing happens (presumably because the two clicks are interpreted as a double click, and double clicking doesn't do anything there). So you have to do it again more slowly. This can really throw off your rhythm if you have a lot of programs to set up. If those left-right buttons could be told not to expect double clicks that would be cool.

If I open settings from the right-click menu in stay-on-top mode (Doctor, it hurts when I do this ...), the settings window comes up behind the main application window. I can't close the settings window because it's behind the main window, and I can't interact with the main window until the settings window is closed, so if I do want to interact with the main window I have to kill NPVR and start it again.
Buster79 Wrote:Check out how stupid I am: I've been checking http://www.gbpvr.com every so often for over a year now, and reading the new replies to the announcement thread for GBPVR 1.4.7, waiting for news about a new version. It was only when one of the posters there described 1.4.7 as outdated that I looked again at the forum front page and realised my mistake. Maybe there could be a message about the name change on http://www.gbpvr.com? Anyway I'm glad to be using NPVR. It's even better.

The answers to your other questions about NPVR will no doubt be answered by greater minds than mine Big Grin NPVR is better and if I had taken some time to read your comments I suspect that some of your questions could be easily answered.

However I steer to your VERY good comment here. You ain't stupid Wink

Makes total sense. The old wiki points people at the new wiki and relevant threads on the forums but the old home page says nothing. A new homepage is coming BUT in the meantime total sense to have some mention on the old homepage indicating that GB-PVR is now legacy.

If anything I feel stupid for not thinking about this and suggesting to community before you Big Grin

Steeb
Buster79 Wrote:How do you exit full screen mode?
alt-enter, same as any other windows program

Quote:Can you scroll the TV guide left and right using the mouse?
I don't think anything's been implemented for that yet. It's been wished for though.

Quote:If I open settings from the right-click menu in stay-on-top mode (Doctor, it hurts when I do this ...), the settings window comes up behind the main application window. I can't close the settings window because it's behind the main window, and I can't interact with the main window until the settings window is closed, so if I do want to interact with the main window I have to kill NPVR and start it again.
Then don't do that... :p
ok, I suppose you want sub to cancel stay-on-top mode when you ask for the settings window, or something along those lines. I agree it is a maddening catch-22... I don't think even Alt-Tab would help then, but it might. I just don't use stay-on-top mode, since I want to be able to launch external tasks and players.
Thanks SteebWink, thanks johnsonx42 for your helpBig Grin. I got into full screen mode by clicking maximize, restore, then maximize again, so I was a little bit disconcerted already and I tried to think what I would do in any other windows app to restore a maximized window. You know the kind of thing - the system menu (alt+space), right clicking on the taskbar icon (actually I'm on Windows 7 so it would be shift+right click), and checking for a window menu by pressing F10 or tapping alt. I should have tried alt-enter too, but in other media players that's usually discoverable as the accelerator for a menu item isn't it?

I'm not criticising or asking for anything, just you know, defending myself. Thanks again!
sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical about the alt-enter thing, just pointing out that it is a windows thing and not an npvr thing. full-screen is more than just maximized, that's why your other methods didn't do anything.
Alt-Enter isn't really a Windows standard is it? It is used for maximizing a command prompt to full screen, but that is old school.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:Alt-Enter isn't really a Windows standard is it?
Its pretty standard. Even apps like Internet Explorer use the same key combo for toggling between fullscreen and window mode.
I believe F11 is the real standard even in the MS world.

Martin
Each to there own. Alt-enter is pretty widely used, and I dont see any good reason to change it. People can probably define a new key combination in keymappings.xml if they really want to use something else.
I wasn't suggesting a change, it was a comment to johnsonx42 that he shouldn't expect users to know this.

Martin
Pages: 1 2