NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Scheduled Recordings do not complete, and stay recording past end time. also crash.md
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

First day with NPVR as main TV app, long time GBPVR user (I had it tweaked so well...). Now to work out any issues before the wife misses too many shows (she is looking at me right now with... that look):eek:

Scheduled Recordings seem to stay past their end time. Also, they seem to only record the first few seconds before no more. i.e from the uploaded image, and logs, The Bachelor taped for 18 seconds, and Lie to Me taped for 1:18. While testing earlier I noticed a recording go for only 18 seconds as well. Not sure if coincidence or relevant.
I have 4 Tuners and in the image 5 are recording, one duplicated which may be my fault or at least easily fixable..

Tuner setup went flawless. Thanks for creating an option to set tuner priority, and disable option. Thanks for adding schedules direct native support.

I went to stop the NPVR recording service to zip the log files. after i zipped, i went to restart the recording service and I got a crash dump file. attached is the dump.

The attempt to restart the NPVR recording service the 2nd time worked. 4 recordings started, and got only 4 seconds in before ending. still show as recording...

Logs are attached. they were running for less than 2 hours before the crash so there shouldn't be too much in there.

Thanks in advance for any help.
NPVR 1.5.36, windows XP
after a large amount of crash dumps for almost everything I tried to do, (update epg, delete any shows that it says is recording, going into the system off main menu....) i restarted the npvr service once again and it is taping two shows at once. one just stopped after 5:41.
you don't have the latest patches installed. some problems like this have been fixed by applying the patches, and in any case it's best to be running the latest version of code to aid troubleshooting. see post #2 of the thread linked in my sig.
<sigh> The thing I tried NOT to do was be the one that did not follow instructions. I read your sticky and thanks for making it.

First line in your post #2, "Do not install any of these if you're not running the listed version of NPVR!" I skimmed it and misread it to mean do not install these if you are running the listed version.
Sorry about this post. I'll apply the patches.
I'll forgive you this once Wink
I don't promise at all that the patches will fix your problems, as most issues along these lines fixed so far have been associated with analog capture devices rather than digital. However, it's a first-things-first sort of thing.
Everybody gets one Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALmQZXza2Rs

Patches installed, it is almost through it's first full recording with no problems. Taping two with no problems as well.

Thanks.
excellent.
Got a few recordings under the belt but then the recordings stayed in recording state well after their end time. when I went to cancel them the gui would lock up.

recordinghang.zip is a clean little log after recordings went past their end time. I restarted the service, went in and tried to cancel them. Hang. rebooted server after zipping the logs.

Recordhang2.zip: I left the machine running so the next recording would pick up. it too ran after the run time. stopped service and took the logs.

If this is a known issue I'd like to help somehow.
If it is just me then I may try burning down my O/S and going windows 7 (finally).
I'm not sure; it looks like you have the long-running problem where the device won't stop recording when it's told, the graph gets stuck and won't stop, then part of NRecord hangs forever (thus all other recordings get stuck on "Recording", and no further recordings will start). This goes all the way back to GB-PVR. Sub added some code in 1.5.33 to deal with this (note the messages about "async stop"). Sub could explain it better, it's his code, but as I understand it essentially what it does is tries to stop the graph with a non-blocking call, and if the call doesn't come back in a few seconds it tries to forcefully tear down the graph.

It seems completely cured for me - I used to suffer this as often as twice a week, but not once since 1.5.33 and a patch or two to improve the process (knock on wood...). However I'm still seeing occaisional reports of this from others, though you're the first I've seen where it happens almost every time (congratulations!). It seems like when it attempts to forcefully tear down the graph it just gets stuck again same as before.

The first thing I'd try is updating your tuner card drivers. Sub's opinion always was that it's something in the driver hanging up the works.

By the way, if you watch the recordings it hung trying to stop (Frontline_20110111_22002300-1.ts and Detroit 1-8-7_20110111_22012300-0.ts), are they watchable all the way to the end?
Johnsonx42,
Just saw the thread "Tuner causes Nrecord crash" so I'll move in over there. Smile
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...rash/page2

I will update the drivers. and from the other post I will also check my media player version so that maybe I can get a new version of the .dll they mention that could be causing this for XP users. I keep reading between the lines (justification for windows 7, justification for windows 7).

The recordings that it hangs on end at random times, usually at the beginning. 18 seconds, 1:18. 5:18. The timing looked random at first but I can see that it is when a 2nd tuner or two additional tuners try to start recording. This is also mentioned in the other thread.

Gracias.