NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Odd blank entries in Settings and getting past startup errors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Oddly, these keep appearing and growing?

2. Another settings Q - How do you get past fatalstartup errors in NPVR?

GBPVR used to be able to let you into config (even if there was an error starting PVRX2), as PVRX2 (to run the PVR) was separate.

But with NPVR+Settings now combined, an error I had (not removing a "!--" from a skin) gave me an error that I couldn't get past when I started NPVR, but I couldn't get back to settings either. The actual error is in the logs, but I fixed it; this Q relates more to not being able to get TO settings anymore??

Ta!

k.

Code:
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4206 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll[/URL]
----------------------------------------

For (1) ... more on this ... I've established that whenever I go into settings, plugins, it adds another "blanmk" entry. I deleted them from config.xml but they keep coming back, like the triffids.
jksmurf Wrote:For (1) ... more on this ... I've established that whenever I go into settings, plugins, it adds another "blanmk" entry. I deleted them from config.xml but they keep coming back, like the triffids.
I've got some of them too...
Quote:1. Oddly, these keep appearing and growing?

Ah, sorry - I hadnt noticed this. It was a type on my 'Blank' screen saver.

I've fixed it for the next build. I'll also post a patch in a minute.

Quote:2. Another settings Q - How do you get past fatalstartup errors in NPVR?

GBPVR used to be able to let you into config (even if there was an error starting PVRX2), as PVRX2 (to run the PVR) was separate.

But with NPVR+Settings now combined, an error I had (not removing a "!--" from a skin) gave me an error that I couldn't get past when I started NPVR, but I couldn't get back to settings either. The actual error is in the logs, but I fixed it; this Q relates more to not being able to get TO settings anymore??
We've not really had any problem with this over the lifetime of NPVR so far, so I dont think it's a big problem. At the end of the day you could just have easily cocked up manual edits the config.xml in GBPVR, and left config.exe/pvrx2.exe unable to run.

In this case you were in skin files manually editing, then found it no longer ran, so you probably had a pretty good idea in approximately where your problem was. Having been able to get to the Settings screen wouldnt have helped too much, short of being able to change the skin. Chances are you'd still have been able to get into the app and settings screen with most skin edits but this just happened to be the main menu or global.xml.
Fair enough. I guess if you're good enough or silly enough to go poking around under the bonnet you should fix your own stuff-ups. :-)
K
I'll hold my hand up to spending an hour or so chasing up an npvr recording service crash (died before any log was created) that was down to a bad cut & paste in config.xml to add a joggler/linux client as a test. I gave up after the hour and did an Acronis restore of the drive !
sub Wrote:Ah, sorry - I hadnt noticed this. It was a type on my 'Blank' screen saver.

I've fixed it for the next build. I'll also post a patch in a minute.

I'm still getting these blanmk <sic> entries?
The app no longer creates these, but you might have them left behind from previous builds.
I found that the best way to get rid of a "bad" setup was to Export Recordings, rename the "Data Directory" and do a clean install. I found it best to do a new setup and then Import Recordings although some files or directories can be copied from the old Data Directory if you are selective.
jcjefferies Wrote:I found that the best way to get rid of a "bad" setup was to Export Recordings, rename the "Data Directory" and do a clean install. I found it best to do a new setup and then Import Recordings although some files or directories can be copied from the old Data Directory if you are selective.

Is there an easier way to do this, I'm wary of a reinstall (WFF ... wife-fear-factor) :-)
I tried to find it in the npvr.db3 using sqlitebrowser but to no avail?

k.
You can edit the config.xml, search for the <MenuLayout> section, and delete the "Blanmk" lines.