NextPVR Forums

Full Version: v1.5.36 SQLite bugs (no capture card / install errors)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have installed this on XP 64bit, the installed complained about the data directory (it says C:\Users\Public\NPVR) however i notice it created it in the WIndows 2000 location (c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\npvr), when i then installed another copy on a XP 64bit pointing to this copy as the server, its complaining about SQLite errors and unable to find a "npvr.db3" file.

Now i shared the NPVR directory (as was told the client / server setup is the same as GBPVR), i have searched the hard drive and cant find ANY *.db3 files...

I need to start tracking down errors, and why is the data directory NOT in the NPVR location (as it should be with the program, this is a logistical nightmare for roaming profiles and backing this up).

First where is this db3 file supposed to be located, and why isnt there one installed by defualt?
FIXED (from what i can see).

As the db3 file is in the profile, its not always searchable (insert why its a bad idea storing program data here), however i have now shared this directory instead of the program NPVR and this seems to have fixed most of the SQLite errors on the client end.... Sad :eek:
SFX Group Wrote:FIXED (from what i can see).

As the db3 file is in the profile, its not always searchable (insert why its a bad idea storing program data here), however i have now shared this directory instead of the program NPVR and this seems to have fixed most of the SQLite errors on the client end.... Sad :eek:

"c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\npvr" is the XP-location of the datafiles for npvr, "C:\Users\Public\NPVR" is Vista/W7 location. Npvr will never store any datafiles in the program directory as gbpvr did.
Reddwarf Wrote:Npvr will never store any datafiles in the program directory as gbpvr did.

Why? has this got anything to do with the Windows 7 "who owns the system drive" security domain infrastructure nightmare Microsoft decided to invent (which drives me nuts every day fixing whole corporate networks)?
SFX Group Wrote:Why? has this got anything to do with the Windows 7 "who owns the system drive" security domain infrastructure nightmare Microsoft decided to invent (which drives me nuts every day fixing whole corporate networks)?

Yep, this is a consequence of MS's UAC policy Rolleyes
whether on XP or Vista or 7 or pretty much any other OS on the planet, UAC or no, storing data files with the program files is poor form at best, and an invitation to serious problems in many cases. Desipte that, this was common practice on windows though up until a few years ago. Having been written just last year, NPVR does not do this.
I must admit I was one of those asking sub to move the database and logs out of te program area of XP - just to make data backups smaller and quicker.
I all helps if/when I have to restore the o/s and leave the data as-is.
When I learned programming back in the 70s (my god, that's awful long ago) we learned that separating code and data was a good idea. A truckload of sins later it is finally becoming widely accepted even by Microsoft, and that's a good thing Smile
Reddwarf Wrote:A truckload of sins later it is finally becoming widely accepted even by Microsoft, and that's a good thing Smile
Oh, Microsoft still does it... it almost seems like they're the worst offender. Install SQL2008, and the default database instance is, you guessed it, under program files.