NextPVR Forums

Full Version: please sir, HVR-1950 Qam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi, I cant get qam to show up under devices here is what I got

Processor: intel atom cpu 330@1.60GHZ;1.60GHZ dual core
Ram: 1.98 GB
Tunner: WinTV HVR-1950 usb
Graphics: intel 82945g Express Chipset Family
Ethernet: realtek rtl8168 Gigabit Ethernet

What I have tried
1.Applied Patches
2.Installed latest drivers from WinTV 73drv_27238.zip
3.wintv7_cd_2.3.exe(but when I tried to install application it says its not authorized to install on notebook pc)
4.Alternate install method for Hauppage SoftPVR components(I placed the extacted drivers and put them under c:\Hvr1950Drivers and ran regsvr32 on all hcw_*.ax and then to every file in there when qam didn't show up in "Devices")

Here is a list of files in Hvr1950Drivers I made
hcw_mcl2ae.ax
HCW_mcm2vd.ax
hcw_mcm2ve.ax
hcw_mcmpeg2mux.ax
hcw_mcmpgaout.dll
hcw_mcmpgvout.001
hcw_mcmpgvout.002
hcw_mcmpgvout.003
hcw_mcmpgvout.004
hcw_mcmpgvout.dll
See if this patch helps.
Thanks for your quick reply. I added the patch to "c:\program files\npvr" and rebooted.
Qam was listed in the Device as it should and was able to scan for channels. Only downside is almost all channels are encrypted on the scan any tips, trick, or links that could help or am I now just stuck.
Thank you for all your help!
LazyGuy Wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. I added the patch to "c:\program files\npvr" and rebooted.
Qam was listed in the Device as it should and was able to scan for channels.
Great.

Quote:Only downside is almost all channels are encrypted on the scan any tips, trick, or links that could help or am I now just stuck.
If your channels are encrypted, then I cant do anything about that. From what I hear, most US cable companies encrypt pretty much all their channels, except for the locals.
The only ClearQAM channels you are likely to get these days are the local broadcast channels. You can enter your zipcode here: http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ and see what channels you should be able to get.

As far as I know no method has been found to decrypt cable channels directly. There was some talk about possibly being able to crack the encryption when they first started encrypting all the basic channels using the simple encryption method supported by the low-end digital tuners the cable companies were giving out (as opposed to the more advanced encryption employed by the full set-top-boxes which are required for HBO, PPV, etc.). If any such effort has had any success we certainly haven't heard about it here and it's not the sort of thing we'd talk about here anyway.

Your only method is to connect the Channel-3 or S-Video output of your cable box to the analog input of the HVR-1950, and hook-up an ir-blaster to tune the cable box. Lots of users here do that, it does work quite well.
@sub - don't you love it when they actually say "please, sir" for a QAM patch, just like I put in the sticky?
Thank you for your help. I feel defeated by the man once again.
I will try connecting through cable box
Thanks "Sir"