NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Windows 7 x32 or x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed Windows 7 x32, but i'm wondering if I should have installed the 64 version instead... i have 4 gigs in the system (so only 3 are being used). It's only used for npvr... is it worth the trouble of reinstalling windows?
I'm happy with my x64 installs but even with only 3 gigs being used, you're not going to see any difference running NPVR going to 64 bit. I don't know how much trouble it is for you to install W7 but for me, it takes only about 45 minutes if you do want to go to x64.
There's still not alot of programs taking advantage of 64 bit engineering so other than the RAM, you're not really using the architecture anyway.
I think the upgrade requires a total install so I have to reinstall and configure all programs and drivers. Thanks for the reply.
32-bit is easier to deal with. NPVR is a 32-bit program, and really doesn't need all that much memory. Unless the system will be doing lots of other things, I don't see what you'd gain by going with 64-bit; particularly given that you already have 32-bit installed.
My dedicated HTPC runs fine on Win7 32 bit with 2G memory. I couldn't tell any difference when I went from 4G dual channel to 2G on a single DIMM.