NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Video Library Metadata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm a little unclear about how to get NPVR video library to display metadata and cover art for my films. I have a couple of questions:

1 - The wiki suggests that metadata can be read from a [filename].xml file, or from mymovies.xml. Can the mymovies.xml file contain data about more than one film by referencing the filename somehow, or is this only useful for folders with 1 file in them?

2 - I see that the simplest way to get coverart and metadata is to have one xml file and one image file for each video file. I have one folder with hundreds of films in and adding 2 more files for each one into this folder seems very messy to me. Is there any way to have NPVR look for the data in another location? This could be a subfolder of the video folder, or another location entirely.
You can also store them in Media\Shows in your Data Directory.

Martin
Do you mean Uses\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows ? That's not working for me, if I move an xml and a jpg that are working in the Video folder to there, then nothing shows up at all in Video Library.
Also is it possible to specify the image file in the xml. It looks like it should be, but using the example xml from the wiki and changing it like this...

Code:
<Title>
    <FullTitle>Twelve Monkeys (1995)</FullTitle>
    <LocalTitle>Twelve Monkeys (1995)</LocalTitle>
    <ProductionYear>5 January 1996 (USA)</ProductionYear>
    <RunningTime>129 min</RunningTime>
    <Description>In a future world devastated by disease, a convict is sent
    back in time to gather information about the man-made virus that wiped
    out most of the human population on the planet.</Description>
    <DataProvider>IMDB</DataProvider>
    <DataProviderId/>
    <Rating>8.1/10</Rating>
    <Covers>
      <Front>.F:\Filmart\Twelve Monkeys (1995).jpg</Front>
    </Covers>
    <Genres>Sci-Fi, Thriller</Genres>
  </Title>

...isn't working - am I specifying the location wrongly, or is this just not possible?
There is stacks of different metadata xml formats, and NPVR doesnt know anything about looking for a image name in <Covers><Front> as shown in this format example you've posted above.
JP23 Wrote:2 - I see that the simplest way to get coverart and metadata is to have one xml file and one image file for each video file. I have one folder with hundreds of films in and adding 2 more files for each one into this folder seems very messy to me. Is there any way to have NPVR look for the data in another location? This could be a subfolder of the video folder, or another location entirely.
I think its actually much cleaner to have all the related files name the sames (with different extensions), so they can easily be deleted etc together, rather than having to manually update one big xml file with all your videos in it.
I'd recommend giving Ember Media Manager Revisited a whirl: http://sourceforge.net/projects/emm-r/

The "Revisited" is because the primary dev(s) recently went MIA and some of the XBMC users took the (open) source and ran with it.

Drama aside, it works incrediably well for both TV Series and Movies (I've used it for both). It'll even download fan art, season art, and more for when sub adds those features back into NPVR someday.

Of note, it uses .nfo's which NPVR seems to deal with just fine (the content is xml).

Once you have it setup and configured it's slick to keep things updated!
sub Wrote:I think its actually much cleaner to have all the related files name the sames (with different extensions), so they can easily be deleted etc together, rather than having to manually update one big xml file with all your videos in it.

You might be right, I suppose it's a matter of taste at the end of the day.

Should what Martin is suggesting above - putting art and/or xml's in Uses\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows work?

If not would you consider allowing other locations for these files to be used somehow, so it would be possible to put xml's and jpg's in a subfolder of the video folder, for example?
Quote:Should what Martin is suggesting above - putting art and/or xml's in Uses\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows work
It does, but its really intended for TV stuff recorded by NPVR, not downloaded shows with all sorts of random file names. ie, if you have file called 'The Simpsons.jpg' in the c:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows directory, then schedule a recording of "The Simpsons", it'll use the image/xml file from the media\shows directory.
One last question - Video library will display the plot field from the xml/nfo file, but can it display anything else, and is what is shown in anyway configurable? Could I somehow display the 'outline' field instead of the 'plot' field?
Pages: 1 2