NextPVR Forums

Full Version: nDroid - A simple Android client for N-PVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Release : Please see this thread

I'm putting the finishing touches to a Beta version of a simple Android client which I intend to release in the next week but I'd like to get some indication of interest and some idea of devices being used by people (see follow up post).

The design is based purely on my own requirements and at the moment covers the following...
  • Browse TV Guide information (7 days)
  • Set new / cancel pending recordings

The next stage will add the following...
  • View What's New recordings (purely for interest see note about streaming below)
  • Provide Status information (i.e., what's currently recording on which tuner)
  • Show System information (free disk space and so on)

More advanced future possibilities (if there is interest from users)...
  • Manage multiple N-PVR machines
  • Streaming audio files (i.e., from the 'Music' folders)
  • C2DM to provide PC->Android 'push' alerts/notifications

Note on streaming: I have no personal interest in streaming either video or audio and although streaming audio is relatively straight-forward, it's low on my list of priorities. Streaming video is more complex in particular with problems streaming .ts recordings created by N-PVR to Android devices. Further to this, the unreliable nature of mobile internet connections and potential data costs mean I have no plans to add this feature.
So far I've only tested on one physical device running Android v2.2 with an SD card and a WVGA screen but I can create test 'devices' on an emulator.

What I'm looking for are the specifications of devices that people may want to run this on so I can cater for as many as possible. In particular...
  • Android version
  • SD card available (yes/no)
  • Screen type and size

Either post here or PM me the details and I'll see if I can run some emulated tests.

EDIT: Lack of SD card is possibly my main concern as my code defaults to using SD storage for its DB. It's a minor change to get it to use internal storage but I haven't had time yet. I'll add this later unless a significant number don't have SD card availability.
HTC EVO

1gh snapdragon
4.3 inch screen
android 2.2
I'd be happy to test I have a 7" cheapo APAD 2.1 800x480 (gyro) mini SD or internal RAM and wifi. I can get NEWA on it http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post390828 but it is not really touch friendly.

Since it is a for in house use, I wouldn't mind it being a combination remote with LCD/VFD info too.

Martin
HTC Incredible
1ghz snapdragon
3.7 inch display
comes with 2 gig SD by default
HTC Desire
1GHz Snapdragon
3.7 inch screen (480x800)
android 2.2
8GB SD card
SonyEricsson X10 Mini Pro
600 MHz Qualcomm MSM7227
2,55" Screen, 240 x 320 pixels (QVGA)
Android 2.1
2 GB SD-card
bgowland Wrote:
  • Provide Status information (i.e., what's currently recording on which tuner)
  • Show System information (free disk space and so on)

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with that, as the System plugin already gathers this information, so perhaps there's a way it could be tweaked to provide it for you too.
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still on target for a trial release this week and the specs look like it will hopefully work for those who have responded.

@Martin - I hadn't thought so much about something as large as a 7" screen - it'll hopefully work but you may have a whole load of screen left over - I'm being minimalistic to suit small screens. Big Grin

@imilne - Thanks for the offer, no point in re-inventing the wheel. I'll let you know when I get to that point and we can compare notes.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian, don't worry about the 7" screen. 2.1 is still a phone O/2 and I am used to just being a big phone. When Gingerbread is out and there are supported tablets (my cheap one won't be I'm sure) it might be more relevant.

Martin
Pages: 1 2