NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NPVR Client/Server problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a problem as the client won’t communicate properly with the server even after trying all the suggestions in the forum so have done a clean install of XP and NPVR V2 on both. The server worked first time as usual when used locally after “Importing” recordings. The only none standard thing is the NPVR data directory was moved to “all users\documents” so it is accessible over the network.

The other computer is set as a client to the server. Using the “Open File” menu I can play recordings correctly from the “Recordings Directory” which is a shared directory on the server.

If I select “Live TV”, “Please Wait” is displayed for 1 ½ mins, then for a few seconds displays “Unable to communicate with recording device” then returns to the main menu. The NPVR.log has an error message :- “Unexpected Socket Exception calling startstream()”. I have enclosed the full log message.

If I select “TV Guide” I can view the programme listings. If I select a programme then select “Quick Record” then NPVR locks for about a minute then produces an “Unhandled Exception”. If you select “Continue” the new item appears on the server “TV Guide”. The error message seems to be identical to the one in the “Live TV” log. I don’t seem to be able to cancel recordings.

If I select “Recordings”, then select a programme, then select “Play” NPVR locks for about 30 seconds after which the programme details and time bar appear at the bottom of the screen but nothing else happens. The log displays up to the point where the recording is selected and the options are displayed but logs nothing else. However it is not locked up as “esc” returns to previous menu. There are no errors in the log.

The first server I built did work with the client but tended to crash the client after about an hour but the motherboard failed. The second server was underpowered so was only temporary. It didn’t work with the client at first but after reading through the forum added NRecord.exe to the firewall exception and the client worked but still tended to crash.

Both current computers have NRecord.exe and NextPVR.exe in the firewall exceptions but disabling both firewalls does not seem to help. The “Server Name” and “Database Share” are in the correct format and copied and pasted into “Net use” and “Net view” and worked correctly. I have the same problem with V1.5 and 2.0. The Data Directory is writable over the local network.

Chris
The error shown in the log isnt to do with shares, which are probably configured fine. It is specifically related to .NET remoting trying to connect to the specified server name. This has always been firewall related in the past, and could be on either the client or server.
The problem seems to be somehow caused by my Linksys wireless router! If I connect the server and client direct via a cable then the client works. If I connect them via the router using either cable or wireless then the client does not work. As a cable between Server and Client is not practical, my temporary work around until I can look at the router, is connecting them via a dedicated wireless access point.

Chris
jcjefferies Wrote:The problem seems to be somehow caused by my Linksys wireless router! If I connect the server and client direct via a cable then the client works. If I connect them via the router using either cable or wireless then the client does not work. As a cable between Server and Client is not practical, my temporary work around until I can look at the router, is connecting them via a dedicated wireless access point.

Chris

Then you need to open the ports that npvr use in your router too. Most routers has some kind of firewall, have you looked at its settings?
PROBLEM SOLVED!
As far as I am aware the Firewall in the router is positioned to stop unwanted Internet traffic getting on to the local network so should have no effect on traffic between local computers. Although all other network functions seem to always work correctly the NPVR client won’t connect fully to the server if there is a connection to the router. Disabling DHCP and using fixed addresses cured the problem which makes me think that the problem is related to me swapping over the NPVR server and client computer hardware. However I cannot see how the problem could have survived a router factory reset and a clean install of Windows on both computers. After many years as a computer engineer you get used to strange problems like this and know that it’s usually not worth the time and effort to repeat and understand the problem!

Chris
I use fixed addressing for all my stuff and just have a few DHCP addresses available "up the top end" for wandering laptops and the like that may appear.
Solves a lot of problems Wink