NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Metadata totally weird??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I am getting totally fed up with having "heated discussions" with the boss about which shows were recorded by/for which of us & as the Recordings setup leaves a HUGE amount to be desired when there is more than one user using the system & there are no alternative plugins that are any better in this respect I have been trying to figure out how I can use the videos screen for my personal recordings.

I have been trying to work out how it uses/displays metadata in videos & this is what I have observed...

1. If I have an overview for a recording in \NPVR\Media\Shows it displays this when I select the directory.....Brilliant & just what I want......but it also displays the "overview" when I select any of the episodes & NOT it's own hidden metadata ...This is totally NOT what is wanted!!

2. I have tried <StoreSeparateMetadataXml>true</StoreSeparateMetadataXml> which I though was there so I could move Recordings around without having to worry about what sort of media they end up on & they should still display the metadata no matter where they end up....doesn't work for me as it doesn't display any metadata if this file exists but if I rename it to xxxxx.xml.old they it starts displaying the hidden metadata??

3. Damn I'm sure there were other things but my brain has gone on hold again Sad
+1 for \media\show generic series metadata to be lower priority than file and folder metadata.

Martin
Jaggy Wrote:& as the Recordings setup leaves a HUGE amount to be desired when there is more than one user using the system
Like what exactly? If I see a good suggestion, I'll certainly give it consideration. It is really important that I make sure the application is moving forward in the right direction though, with the right feature set. If we implement every suggestion that people would find useful in their setup, we'll end with stacks of logic used by virtually no one, making the application fragile and easily broken, and the application will look like the car that homer built http://www.ballerride.com/wp-content/upl...motors.bmp...something I desperately want to avoid.

Quote:1. If I have an overview for a recording in \NPVR\Media\Shows it displays this when I select the directory.....Brilliant & just what I want......but it also displays the "overview" when I select any of the episodes & NOT it's own hidden metadata ...This is totally NOT what is wanted!!
You can see if the attached patch helps. Metadata is quickly becoming one of the most complicated aspects of the application, with so many different formats, places to look for metadata, and conflicting user requirements.
This update helps on file based metadata but it now doesn't use the description xml field from scheduled_recordings.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:This update helps on file based metadata but it now doesn't use the description xml field from scheduled_recordings.
Where exactly? I'll check. It shouldnt have made any difference to that.
Video Library, the same file in Recordings does show the db data but I reverted and you are right it didn't work in Video Library before either.

Martin
sub Wrote:You can see if the attached patch helps. Metadata is quickly becoming one of the most complicated aspects of the application, with so many different formats, places to look for metadata, and conflicting user requirements.

Yep that fixed that part of it for me but it still doesn't show any metadata information at all if it has the program generated "ProgramName.xml" as an .xml file in the directory?

mvallevand Wrote:Video Library, the same file in Recordings does show the db data but I reverted and you are right it didn't work in Video Library before either.

I got caught with that a long time ago & I thought it odd then & still do now, but it only shows the Db data in the OSD when you are playing the video.

Jaggy Wrote:& as the Recordings setup leaves a HUGE amount to be desired when there is more than one user using the system

sub Wrote:Like what exactly? If I see a good suggestion, I'll certainly give it consideration. It is really important that I make sure the application is moving forward in the right direction though, with the right feature set. If we implement every suggestion that people would find useful in their setup, we'll end with stacks of logic used by virtually no one, making the application fragile and easily broken, and the application will look like the car that homer built http://www.ballerride.com/wp-content/upl...motors.bmp...something I desperately want to avoid.

While my memory may be fairly bad these days I do still remember the discussion about the Homer car from the last time Wink

I could go into exactly what would suit us but rather than make it very detailed to our requirements at this stage I will keep it more general.

The two main problems we have is not knowing what programs have been recorded for whom to watch (Wife's, Mine or Ours) & after a program has been watched knowing if it is waiting for the other person to watch it or if they don't want to watch it delete it or even if the other person has finished watching it at all?

I could suggest Groups which have been mentioned countless times before in the past & are part of Myth & have been for ages & ages for the first problem & maybe a number of different key combination for a users to press to put a (different colours for different things) marker on the recording for the second problem but others may have a better suggestion??