NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Recordings "Lost" After Post-Processing - Files Still There
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been having the problem where my recordings are no longer shown under 'Recordings' after I run my post-processing routine every night. The problem is actually intermittent...I would say about 67% of the recordings are lost.

I run my post-processing at 12:01AM every evening, converting all files to MP4 (H.264). The conversion routine works flawlessly, the new file is in the same location as the original and has the same name but with the new MP4 extension. The original file is then deleted after the new file is created. However, when I go to 'Recordings', I find that more often than not, the recording is not listed. The new file does exist and is playable, but NPVR seems to have lost the entry for it.

I recently upgraded to NPVR (v2.0.3) from GB-PVR (v1.4.7). I had the problem with GB-PVR and still have it with NPVR.

The only thing I could find in the forums was to change the setting <AutoRemoveMissingRecordings> to false. This had the affect that NPVR still lists the episode in Recordings, however, clicking play does nothing (clicking Play just kicks me back to the listing of recordings).

I'm not sure what logs to post, so I am posting NPVR.log . If you go the bottom, you see that I tried to play the file "MLB Baseball...". That is one of the recordings that I cannot play.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The most likely cause is that PostProcessing.bat is somehow changing more about the file name than just the extension.
Attached are my transcoding bat's. As far I can see, there is nothing funny going on with the file names.

Can you provide any guides for manually running an update query to point to the new file? Ideally, something I can use in the bat file.
NPVR simply calls on Windows defaults to playback mp4 files. I suspect that your defaults aren't installed correctly.

Code:
2011-04-07 22:43:22.000    [DEBUG][1]    Adding VMR9 Custom renderer
2011-04-07 22:43:23.109    [DEBUG][1]    CAllocator::AddRef (m_refCount=2)
2011-04-07 22:43:23.109    [DEBUG][1]    CAllocator::AddRef (m_refCount=3)
2011-04-07 22:43:23.187    [DEBUG][1]    restoring last aspect ratio
2011-04-07 22:43:23.187    [DEBUG][1]    Graph filter list:
2011-04-07 22:43:23.187    [DEBUG][1]     - Default DirectSound Device
2011-04-07 22:43:23.187    [DEBUG][1]     - Video Mixing Renderer 9
2011-04-07 22:43:23.218    [DEBUG][1]    GetEventCode() returned: 0x000d
2011-04-07 22:43:23.218    [DEBUG][1]    GetEventCode() returned: 0x0001
2011-04-07 22:43:23.218    [DEBUG][1]    About to store playback position information
2011-04-07 22:43:23.218    [DEBUG][1]    PlaybackPositionHelper.StorePlaybackPosition(C:\Recordings\MLB Baseball\MLB Baseball_20110406_19002200.mp4, 0, 0)
2011-04-07 22:43:23.281    [DEBUG][1]    Stopping graph@1

Martin
Yeah, Martin is correct. Window's appears to be generating a broken playback graph for that file.
Yes, Martin was correct. For some reason, PowerDVD8 was having trouble. A simple upgrade to PDVD10 did the trick.

If I could make one suggestion, not totally unrelated, I would love to see a section in the Wiki or the Forums for recommended decoder settings as well as links to download them. There is only a small handful of OS's out there, it seems silly that everyone is 'trying' different decoders when someone else has already done the work.
pwrmac7100 Wrote:If I could make one suggestion, not totally unrelated, I would love to see a section in the Wiki or the Forums for recommended decoder settings as well as links to download them. There is only a small handful of OS's out there, it seems silly that everyone is 'trying' different decoders when someone else has already done the work.

Unfortunately I dont think it's that easy. We've seen time and time again over the years that decoder performance seems to vary from user to user. Lots of other factors come into play, like OS, video renderer, graphics card, CPU, source material, varying frame rates in different parts of the world, and probably other stuff like other software on the machines etc.

Also, it's worth noting that specifying decoders in the NPVR Settings screen only really helps when you're playing live tv or .ts/.mpg files. In all other cases, including your .mp4 files, its left up to Windows to choose the decoders, so what decoders get chosen can get quite complex.
sub Wrote:Unfortunately I dont think it's that easy. We've seen time and time again over the years that decoder performance seems to vary from user to user. Lots of other factors come into play, like OS, video renderer, graphics card, CPU, source material, varying frame rates in different parts of the world, and probably other stuff like other software on the machines etc.

Also, it's worth noting that specifying decoders in the NPVR Settings screen only really helps when you're playing live tv or .ts/.mpg files. In all other cases, including your .mp4 files, its left up to Windows to choose the decoders, so what decoders get chosen can get quite complex.

Absolutly! It is litterally impossible to give a universal recommendation with regards to decoders and settings. What works seamless for one user might not give picture at all for another user. But it could be useful to have some links to where free decoder packages can be downloaded.