NextPVR Forums

Full Version: A newbie asks...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi gbPVR users,

I'm planning to buy an "Aopen i855GMEm-LES" mainboard together with a "Celeron-M 1.5GHz" in order to

use gbPVR (I hope this system will be cool and quiet as I want to place it next to my TV set ;-)

Is anybody out there using these components and could tell me about his experiences please:

1: Does the "hibernate -> wake-up for recording -> record -> hibernate again"-thing work on them?

Will this board really wake up from hibernate at the time gbPVR writes to BIOS? (the mainboard documentation only says about "suspend-to-RAM"-Mode which is not what I mean)

2: Is the CPU powerful enough (I going to use a Hauppauge PVR 150 for encoding and a Xcard for

decoding)?

3: Will I need to buy a "special" power supply to ensure proper hibernation mode? I've heard that

BIOS must be power-supplied to enable wake-up ... is BIOS automatically supplied by all power

supplies?

Thanks for all anwers.

Alex
I think that any recent motherboard and OS that supports ACPI should be able to wake up from hibernation according to the scheduled time. To enable waking up, the power supply should at least be able to provide 1A on the +5 VSB lead. Most new 350 -400 watt power supplies are capable of this.

I've had no problems with the computer waking up and going back to hibernation on a relatively old system (Duron 800Mhz on an ancient Asus A7V133 motherboard. Circa. 2001??)

If you intend to use the PVR-150 X-Card combination, I think the Celeron 1.5 has definitely enough juice to spare.

The problems that I've expericenced so far are:
1. The IR Blaster refuses to change channels in GBPVR after waking up from hibernation.

2. Sometimes the soundcard disappears after waking up from hibernation

Hope this helps!