NextPVR Forums

Full Version: deleted weekly manual recording etries keep coming back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm doing manual scheduling of recordings, rather than using the EPG. I had a number of programs all scheduled before I got hit with the daylight savings change over. OK, hate that these are based on GMT (which makes no sense), but I deleted the old entries and created new entries since the old ones were now an hour off. Kept having problems, so made little changes to the names so I could see what was really happening, for example my old recording entry was Simpsons and the new one is simpsons. But these old canceled weekly recordings with their old names keep coming back on to the schedule. And that presents a problem, since some conflict with other recordings that should be done at the same time, and other eat a lot of my notebook's limited hard disk space. I've deleted some entries many times, the last time was just yesterday, but they are back again. I'm guessing this is some side effect of the repeated programming that obviously can't show all future programs in the schedule, but I just can't seem to undo these old scheduled programs completely.

I would rather not completely uninstall npvr and start over, since I have a lot of new manual entries in there and since I finally have other parts working like the EPG, but I can't find any way short of that to make the old entries go away permanently.

Please advise on how I can delete the old manual entries in the schedule completely so that they don't keep coming back. I currently double click on the entry and then select "cancel", it seems to kill the entry and it is off the schedule for a while but it comes back.

Also, please consider that basing manual recordings internally on GMT makes no sense. I realize that you likely use EPG and so manual recording is of less interest to you, but having to change a large schedule twice a year inconveniences a lot of users, and added problems like these phantoms that keep returning to the schedule just add to that.
Mark Fordworth Wrote:I'm doing manual scheduling of recordings, rather than using the EPG. I had a number of programs all scheduled before I got hit with the daylight savings change over. OK, hate that these are based on GMT (which makes no sense)
The recording system is really designed around EPGs, and for the most part EPGs supply their listings with start and end times specified in GMT, so it makes sense to use this. GBPVR had endless problems with EPG users that had recordings that occur across the daylight savings time change, and the recordings would either not happen, be too long or too short, and this logic in NPVR was aimed at fixing this. Admittedly, due to a mistake in my logic for dealing with manual recordings resulted in my just pushing those problems over to the smaller group of users that are doing manual recordings - Sorry.

Quote:Kept having problems, so made little changes to the names so I could see what was really happening, for example my old recording entry was Simpsons and the new one is simpsons. But these old canceled weekly recordings with their old names keep coming back on to the schedule. And that presents a problem, since some conflict with other recordings that should be done at the same time, and other eat a lot of my notebook's limited hard disk space. I've deleted some entries many times, the last time was just yesterday, but they are back again. I'm guessing this is some side effect of the repeated programming that obviously can't show all future programs in the schedule, but I just can't seem to undo these old scheduled programs completely.

I would rather not completely uninstall npvr and start over, since I have a lot of new manual entries in there and since I finally have other parts working like the EPG, but I can't find any way short of that to make the old entries go away permanently.

Please advise on how I can delete the old manual entries in the schedule completely so that they don't keep coming back. I currently double click on the entry and then select "cancel", it seems to kill the entry and it is off the schedule for a while but it comes back.
It sounds like you still have the recording listed in the Recordings -> Recurring screen. Delete it from there and it shouldnt recreate them. If you're sure it's not there, zip and attach your npvr.db3 file and I'll check it out.
sub Wrote:...
It sounds like you still have the recording listed in the Recordings -> Recurring screen. Delete it from there and it shouldnt recreate them.
Thanks. I wasn't consciously aware of the Recurring Recordings screen, was only deleting from the Pending Recordings screen I'll clean out the Recurring screen too. Already see that it will take some extra care, as the times there look right, but the ones that I need to kill are based on dates before the DST change over. I do expect that will resolve it, will post back to this thread only if the problem persists.
Mark Fordworth Wrote:Thanks. I wasn't consciously aware of the Recurring Recordings screen, was only deleting from the Pending Recordings screen I'll clean out the Recurring screen too. Already see that it will take some extra care, as the times there look right, but the ones that I need to kill are based on dates before the DST change over. I do expect that will resolve it, will post back to this thread only if the problem persists.

I made the same mistake a while ago, deleted from Pending and could not understand why the recordings keept coming back. Suddenly I realized that I could see them in Recurring screen, and then the light came on Big Grin
Reddwarf Wrote:I made the same mistake a while ago, deleted from Pending and could not understand why the recordings keept coming back. Suddenly I realized that I could see them in Recurring screen, and then the light came on Big Grin
I'm not the only one then that did this, perhaps the two of us are not the only ones. It might be nice if when a pending recording was canceled and it was also in the Recurring list the program could ask if the user wanted to remove the Recurring entry too.
Mark Fordworth Wrote:I'm not the only one then that did this, perhaps the two of us are not the only ones. It might be nice if when a pending recording was canceled and it was also in the Recurring list the program could ask if the user wanted to remove the Recurring entry too.

I'd rather it not, I often cancel reruns without wanting to cancel the whole series. But it would be nice if it was pointed out somewhere, perhaps in the "getting started" section, that recurring recordings has to be canceled in the Recurring screen (Steeb: are you listening?).

Thinking about it now, it makes perfect sense thou :o
Reddwarf Wrote:But it would be nice if it was pointed out somewhere, perhaps in the "getting started" section, that recurring recordings has to be canceled in the Recurring screen (Steeb: are you listening?).

Indeed as always Wink

Current entry on the page is:

Quote:How to cancel season recordings

When you cancel a specific episode that is part of a series of recurring recordings from the TV Guide, it is only cancelling the specific episode, not the entire season. It remembers if you have deleted individual episodes of a season recording so that they don't get rescheduled automatically each night when it updates the EPG. Otherwise, you would have to cancel a specific episode every day until the time has passed. In order to reset a cancelled show that is part of the series of recurring recordings, you would need to update the series from the recordings menu.

Add something to it at the end like?

Recurring recordings can only be fully cancelled from the recurring screen list.

steeb
Reddwarf Wrote:I'd rather it not, I often cancel reruns without wanting to cancel the whole series....
I did say ASK, not indiscriminately cancel everything. I too would delete reruns, and will now. I did not in the past simply because I did not understand that there were two places where this was being controlled and that I could delete the pending one without deleting the on-going schedule. If it was asked when deleting the pending item then it would be more clear to the user. I really don't see any reason not to ask.
Mark Fordworth Wrote:I did say ASK, not indiscriminately cancel everything. I too would delete reruns, and will now. I did not in the past simply because I did not understand that there were two places where this was being controlled and that I could delete the pending one without deleting the on-going schedule. If it was asked when deleting the pending item then it would be more clear to the user. I really don't see any reason not to ask.

The trouble with deleting from pending is they will reappear on the next EPG update. I'd rather not be bothered with too many prompts.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:The trouble with deleting from pending is they will reappear on the next EPG update. I'd rather not be bothered with too many prompts.

Martin
Please note that I was talking about manually scheduled reoccurring recordings, not EPG recordings. So if one wants to argue against doing it for EPG recordings, that doesn't apply here. However, if there is any merit for doing it for EPG users too, I still would advocate asking the question. If you mind being asked that simple question when you cancel a pending recording, the solution would be to have one of those "don't ask again" checkboxes, rather than not give anyone the warning.
Pages: 1 2