NextPVR Forums

Full Version: npvr popcornhour and windows 7 black screen after idle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just changed my setup from xp, mvp and gbpvr to Windows 7 popcornhour a110 and npvr.

Everything works fine. I leave the windows 7 pc on all the time and just turn on the tv and popcorn hour to start viewing.

But after leaving the system off for a while( a few hours at least) unless I restart the pc I just get a black screen.

The npvr menu can be seen, the screen saver pictures can be seen, the sound can be heard but just a black screen. If I try to play previously recorded material, the same is true.

I think it is a device going to sleep on the windows 7 pc. I have changed various power saving settings but to no avail.

Has anyone come across this before. I have a nvideo card ,, wired network ,hdmi connected to popcornhour hour and 3 pci Nova T tuners.

steve
I haven't come across this problem just losing video.

So, to try to pin it down....

What is it like playing stuff on the server - OK or still no video?
What happens if you stop and restart NPVR - OK or still no video (i.e. does it really need a power cycle or just a software restart).
Also what happens if you power off/on the A110?
Can you try an alternate to HDMI? in the early days my TV and the PCH 100 didn't like each other when the TV powered on.
I dont know if this is connected but there is a "Sleep" problem with some Nvidia cards. If you look at the "MCE Sleep Tool" this provides some options which are supposed to cure the problem if this is the problem you have.
You didn't mention potentially the other big difference in your setup, and that is you could now be using HDMI. If you are using HDMI I think martin123 explained the problem (and he knows it because he was the first to fully describe it to me) and that is on some monitors the HDMI connection needs to be fully reestablished after you break it by power off and potentially even changing HDMI signals. This is typically because the monitor doesn't sent the proper Plug and Play information so mvpmcx2 doesn't know it needs to reset video.

You have several options. The safest solution is to exit to the NMT menu when you aren't using NPVR. This uses much less energy and when you restart NPVR a full HDMI reset is done. If you don't like that, as martin123 switch to component video and remember to unplug the HDMI cable. If neither of those options are appealing to you, when you get the blank screen on the remote hit Stop and when you get the NPVR menu back, hit the Eject followed by Delete which will do a full HDMI reset.

Martin
Hi Martin
Tried the eject and delete option and worked a treat so problem is Hdmi related. Will power down in future and also probably change to component as research indicates not much if any advantage to having hdmi over component.

While I am on thanks for all the hard work you and others put in. Your posts have helped me solve many a problem ove the years

steve
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. Turned out to be HDMI related so changing connection to component. Will have a look at this software though to help get my windows power managment back up and running as it should be. I ended up turning every possible power saving option off when trying to find the cause of the screen blackout. Not looking forward to next electric bill

steve