NextPVR Forums

Full Version: What are the client / extender options with NPVR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When I go on the wiki that section just says "TODO".

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Client.Client

I am thinking of switching from SageTV to NPVR.

What are the client / extender options with NPVR?

Does it work with the new MediaMVP-HD?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/d...vp-hd.html

Does it work with Boxee or Roku?

Thank you very much!

bjy20716
You have a few options

- client PC
- HD extender devices including Popcorn Hour A100/A110, eGreat m34a, and a couple of other clone devices
- original Hauppauge MediaMVP extender, but this is standard def and doesnt do AC3, so is only really well suited to analog capture device setups.
bjy20716 Wrote:Does it work with Boxee or Roku?

There is a Roku player for GBPVR that could be modified for NPVR. I wanted to write a Boxee app for NPVR but users have been clear that they strongly prefer the full client with the same look and feel, plugins etc on the client, they don't really prefer want a simple playback engine for NPVR recordings and scheduling.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:There is a Roku player for GBPVR that could be modified for NPVR. I wanted to write a Boxee app for NPVR but users have been clear that they strongly prefer the full client with the same look and feel, plugins etc on the client, they don't really prefer want a simple playback engine for NPVR recordings and scheduling.

Martin

Didn't realise that was an option to only have playback and recording.

Also is anything possible on the Apple TV2 (omg I'm definitely turning into a fanboi now)
Playback and recording via an alternate interface is not extremely difficult, there already was a nice XBMC client by Ton http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...R-FrontEnd but as I wrote before users seem to want a full client that allows everything under one UI.

The ATV2 is a nice box, but writing a full client for it is like writing a true Mac client so it would be a lot of work. I think I will pass and hope Apple build an ATV3 that does 1080p.

Martin
sub Wrote:You have a few options

- client PC
- HD extender devices including Popcorn Hour A100/A110, eGreat m34a, and a couple of other clone devices
- original Hauppauge MediaMVP extender, but this is standard def and doesnt do AC3, so is only really well suited to analog capture device setups.

Do you mean A200 and A210? Or does NPVR only support only an older model?
I do not see an A100 or A110 on the popcorn hour website.

Thanks

bjy20716
It only supports the last generation Popcorn Hour models at this stage. The eGreat M34a can still be bought new though.

We're investigating some other extender options, but would rather not say which, since we'd rather people dont rush out and buy them then complain if support doesnt eventuate.
Do you have any planned timelines? I'd like to replace my MediaMVPs one of these days but dislike the idea of buying a seemingly obsolete Popcorn Hour model.
meccano Wrote:Do you have any planned timelines? I'd like to replace my MediaMVPs one of these days but dislike the idea of buying a seemingly obsolete Popcorn Hour model.
No. Popcorn Hour A100/A110, eGreat m34a are the currently supported extender options.
I have been waiting for Syabas to announce their direction (new firmware, players etc) because there hasn't been any real action for more than 6 months, because I have been burnt in the past working on a client only to have the system firmware change and negate most of my work. Syabas will be making an announcement the first week in Sept. but even if they stick with the 200 series if I have to use Flash I don't expect anything before the Winter.

While the supported devices are old they play all the broadcast standards that NPVR can feed them. A couple of weeks ago I had to make a change so support some new files from the CableCard devices and there was no problem. It still will play more formats then newer devices like the Boxee Box, ATV2 and GoogleTV which is likely why they still sell out when the become available.

Even with a PC you can't future proof yourself, you have to decide what you really want it for.

Martin
Pages: 1 2