NextPVR Forums

Full Version: FF/Rewind rather than skipping??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm new to npvr so excuse me if my question is poorly formed. The eventghost/npvr/xbmc all-at-once learning curve is a bit steep at times. Smile

I want my fast forward and rewind keys to do just that when playing back a recording, rather than skipping. Looking in keymappings.xml the relevant bit seems to be this:

<Key code="{CTRL}Right" command="SkipForward"/>
<Key code="{CTRL}Left" command="SkipBack"/>
<Key code="{CTRL}R" command="SkipRW"/>
<Key code="{CTRL}F" command="SkipFF"/>

Ctrl+F and Ctrl+R (the ff/rewind keys on my remote) do perform the skip so it seems to be working as intended. Am I able to edit the command fields to make them do rewind and fast forward rather than skip? Four skip keys is more than I need!

Is there a list of valid commands? The reference in the wiki seems a bit incomplete/out of date.

Hope that makes sense, cheers!

ps great product, many thanks to all those who contributed.
There is no fast-forward/rewind ability in NPVR. The function is instead used for a shorter skip.
The reason the app doesnt provide this is because of limitions with 3rd party components. The decoders and demultiplexer we have is to rely on for playback dont do either reverse play (rewinding) or multi-speed forward playback faster than 2x. Skipping provides us the best generic option that is compatible with all decoders, and the Microsoft demux.
Alrighty then! Thanks for the quick and definitive answers guys.
sub Wrote:The decoders and demultiplexer we have is to rely on for playback dont do either reverse play (rewinding) or multi-speed forward playback faster than 2x.
I recall GB-PVR did at some point towards the end offer an option to use the 2x ffwd/rewind instead of the short skips. While 2x really isn't fast enough for most purposes, and I wouldn't want to give up either the short or long skips, there are times when 2x would be useful. The left and right arrows aren't used for anything in playback, could you at some point make those engage the 2x speed?
johnsonx42 Wrote:I recall GB-PVR did at some point towards the end offer an option to use the 2x ffwd/rewind instead of the short skips.
No, thats not correct. It always had the same limitation.

Quote:While 2x really isn't fast enough for most purposes, and I wouldn't want to give up either the short or long skips, there are times when 2x would be useful. The left and right arrows aren't used for anything in playback, could you at some point make those engage the 2x speed?
Sorry, its not worth the effort. It can only done for forward, not back, and is too slow to be useful.
Ant idea how other "native" software packages do this? Does they have their own demux?
Reddwarf Wrote:Ant idea how other "native" software packages do this? Does they have their own demux?
You can do it with tightly integrated combinations of decoders and demuxes so that can cooperate on stuff like only delivering iframes, allowing play timestamps to go in reverse etc. Its not possible when you're just relying on random combinations of directshow components that the user already has on their machine.

ie, if I was a commercial app I might go an license a Cyberlink set of decoders and demux and be able to provide this type of functionality, using the private proprietary interfaces they'd provide in their SDK, and the application would be built around their technologies. This wouldnt work with other decoders though. To switch to ArcSoft, you'd then need to go license their complete set of components, and SDK to build the application around.
Mm, I see. So there's not a "standard" interface/api to any demuxer, and companies like Cyberlink don't document their api unless you have paid for it. Sad
I don't undrestand this demux/decoder stuff really, but I used to use mediaportal before and the way it fast forwards / reverses and skips is great - and accurate (one thing I really miss in NPVR.).

I am sure they don't tie the user to a particular decoder. So how do they do it?
Pages: 1 2