NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Network Recorder Experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I've been testing mvallevand's new Network Recorder quite successfully using firewire from my Motorola cable box prior to it being released into the "wild". Now that it's out (in the wiki under plug-ins) and I've installed the production version, here's a report.

Martin helped me clear out some debris from the previous test version. Also, he provided an updated version of Network Recorder that requires a slight work around to install and configure. Here are his instructions:
  • Stop the NPVR recording service
  • Delete npvr.db3 to start with a clean database
  • Start NPVR and add and configure Network Recorder
  • Start the recording service
This worked OK for me as I was setting up a new NPVR install; if you don't want to delete your database, submit a post for advice.

I use Schedules Direct and it imported my lineup with no problems (I only have the channels of interest enabled in the SD lineup, a total of 27). I didn't even have to map the channels as I kept the same channel numbers as the cable box.

For firewire, one uses SageGraphRecorder (SGR) to interface between the firewire drivers and the Network Recorder plug-in. The firewire drivers are from TimMMoore and are quite old, but work fine in Win7 as long as it is 32 bit; there are no 64 bit firewire drivers. Also, the Win7 firewire driver has to be rolled back to the legacy version in Device Manager before installing the timmmoore drivers. You can google on exdeus to get an updated installer of the drivers and good instructions, or just go to this link: http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

You also need to create a graph using Graphedit on your machine for SGR to use. It needs only two filters: the firewire tuner and the NPVR file writer.

The firewire drivers package also includes a firewire channel changer that works great, at least for me. However, you need to call it from SGR using a batch file as it requires more arguments than SGR wants to provide. My install pops up the command window for a few seconds when it runs, but there are ways to hide it, I understand.

So, how does it work? In a word, great! Solid recordings and live TV. In particular, live TV is very good with no audio-video sync or choppy issues for me. It pauses and rewinds just fine. This is probably due to Sub's work on the NPVR file writer and TS reader.

This removes the final holdup for me moving to NPVR, so I'm happy. Note that my cableco has all the channels of interest in the clear, no 5C or copy protections. YMMV.

Thanks Martin for the good work on this.
Thanks mikeh49 for the update, I pretty much just joined the dots of some proven technology, NPVR is still doing the heavy lifting, with DirectShow (just like in NPVR) doing it's piece. It's good that you use the NPVR TS Writer since you will get the indexed TS files which add to the NPVR experience. Also if you want to use the NPVR rolling file (which uses less disk space for LiveTV you might want this setting.

<RollingFile>true</RollingFile>

Martin
A couple of questions regarding this plugin...

Am I right in thinking that this makes it possible to share tuners between two NPVR machines?
If I scheduled a recording on PC A using a tuner from PC B, would this then be added to the database of just PC A, or of both?

Secondly, is it possible that this plugin could ptoentially allow the use of a Dreambox as a network tuner?
I have a DM800 which is capable of streaming across the LAN. It's fully network-controllable and outputs .ts streams, which I can play in VLC and on my egreat m34a. Each channel can be launched with an http link which starts the stream. Being able to use this in NPVR would be fantastic.
JP23 Wrote:Am I right in thinking that this makes it possible to share tuners between two NPVR machines?
If I scheduled a recording on PC A using a tuner from PC B, would this then be added to the database of just PC A, or of both?

You could share tuners, the link is the new streaming live tv url only database A is updated, to B it is just live tv and the tuner is in use.

Quote:Secondly, is it possible that this plugin could ptoentially allow the use of a Dreambox as a network tuner?
I have a DM800 which is capable of streaming across the LAN. It's fully network-controllable and outputs .ts streams, which I can play in VLC and on my egreat m34a. Each channel can be launched with an http link which starts the stream. Being able to use this in NPVR would be fantastic.

Yes this should be possible, and very easy to implement. Oen a new thread and provide more information on the URL

Martin
mikeh49 Wrote:I've been testing mvallevand's new Network Recorder quite successfully using firewire from my Motorola cable box prior to it being released into the "wild". Now that it's out (in the wiki under plug-ins) and I've installed the production version, here's a report.

Martin helped me clear out some debris from the previous test version. Also, he provided an updated version of Network Recorder that requires a slight work around to install and configure. Here are his instructions:
  • Stop the NPVR recording service
  • Delete npvr.db3 to start with a clean database
  • Start NPVR and add and configure Network Recorder
  • Start the recording service
This worked OK for me as I was setting up a new NPVR install; if you don't want to delete your database, submit a post for advice.

I use Schedules Direct and it imported my lineup with no problems (I only have the channels of interest enabled in the SD lineup, a total of 27). I didn't even have to map the channels as I kept the same channel numbers as the cable box.

For firewire, one uses SageGraphRecorder (SGR) to interface between the firewire drivers and the Network Recorder plug-in. The firewire drivers are from TimMMoore and are quite old, but work fine in Win7 as long as it is 32 bit; there are no 64 bit firewire drivers. Also, the Win7 firewire driver has to be rolled back to the legacy version in Device Manager before installing the timmmoore drivers. You can google on exdeus to get an updated installer of the drivers and good instructions, or just go to this link: http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

You also need to create a graph using Graphedit on your machine for SGR to use. It needs only two filters: the firewire tuner and the NPVR file writer.

The firewire drivers package also includes a firewire channel changer that works great, at least for me. However, you need to call it from SGR using a batch file as it requires more arguments than SGR wants to provide. My install pops up the command window for a few seconds when it runs, but there are ways to hide it, I understand.

So, how does it work? In a word, great! Solid recordings and live TV. In particular, live TV is very good with no audio-video sync or choppy issues for me. It pauses and rewinds just fine. This is probably due to Sub's work on the NPVR file writer and TS reader.

This removes the final holdup for me moving to NPVR, so I'm happy. Note that my cableco has all the channels of interest in the clear, no 5C or copy protections. YMMV.

Thanks Martin for the good work on this.

I have attempted to implement this set of steps ... thank you for the valuable information. However, I am having one problem. The problem is with the execution of the batch file to change the channels. It is not working for me. I was unable to locate a copy of "channel.exe" and instead have been using "SageChanger" which works in a similar manner. The batch file I have created works well when executed as a batch file at the MS-DOS prompt (as a test). I have indicated this batch file in the SGR configuration file. The file seems to execute (no error in the SGR debug window), but it does not change the channel on the STB.

Can you please provide the channel.exe and batch file you are using?

Thanks.
If you are using NetworkRecorder with SageRecorder to perform firewire tuning on 32bit Windows you want the Timmmoore drivers http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/wsb/h...ewire.html and channel.exe What does you SGraphRecorder.ini file look like?

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:If you are using NetworkRecorder with SageRecorder to perform firewire tuning on 32bit Windows you want the Timmmoore drivers http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/wsb/h...ewire.html and channel.exe What does you SGraphRecorder.ini file look like?

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for the quick response. My request is for the "channel.exe" program file and the batch (.bat) file referenced that executes the "channel.exe" program. I am requesting these in an attempt to implement the exact elements described by Mike above.

Since I posted this request I have thought about the problem I am experiencing a bit more. I am now beginning to believe the problem is that SGraphRecorder (SGR) is not actually executing the program/batch file that I have specified with the ExeTunerPath. Although the logging within the SGR debug window indicates the batch file that I created is being executed ("Running: C:\Program Files\Sage\ChangeChannel.bat 108"), there is no MS-DOS window which appears and the task manager does not indicate a process is running. And, of course, the channel does not change. I have run the batch file manually many times successfully within a MS-DOS window and it worked each time in chaning the STB channel. So I am confident the batch file is correct.

I researched this a good deal (forums, etc.) and there were several steps I did NOT take because I concluded (perhaps in error) they did not apply. In summary:

I did not copy any dll files as part of the installation of Graph Edit.
I did not "register" anything (e.g. Regedit, etc.).
I did not apply any Network Recorder patches.

Again, these may the cause of the issue but I didn't think the steps applied because the senarios described were different. I am just calling them out to provide complete information.

Here is the section of the SGR configuration file:

[ExeTuner]
UseExeTuner=1
ExeTunerPath=C:\Program Files\Sage\ChangeChannel.bat

The ChangeChannel.bat file is a batch file with the following statement:

"C:\Program Files\Sage\SageChanger" -n 92515dfeff102200 -p -c 00%1 -f 6 -v

Just to be clear, I can capture video from the STB using the NextPVR UI successfully (i.e. the Graph is functional), so my only issue is the inability to change the channel on the STB.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Do you have a space after the ".bat" in the ini file? Also if you are running win7 or vista make sure that uac didn't impact you install of the batch file

Martin
I'll try to get my batch file later today. IIRC, it looks just like yours, but I'm using the channel.exe that comes with the timmmoore firewire drivers, or with the exdeus installer. But, if yours runs from a command window, it seems like it should run from SGR. Do the quotes in the command line need to be around the parameters? I can never remember exactly how to place the quotes.
I've run channel.exe from both the batch file and direct and my batch file has quotes which is pretty standard with lfn's but the ini file doesn't need them.

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8