NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Editing Currently Selected Item Hard-Locks NPVR/Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Discovered this by accident while editing metadata for a currently selected item in Videos.

To reproduce:

1) highlight an item in Videos.
2) replace/change meta data.
3) witness that it DOES update without you doing anything, but also hard locks the PC.

Probably rare for most, you'd have to edit your metadata on a separate PC (my Videos reside on a server volume) and happen to have the item being changed selected.
I don;t understand what you are doing (and with 40 views and no replies, I suspect I am not alone).

Editing metatdata how and where? In the standard videos plugin ?
Nothing about npvr will hard-lock the whole PC up, pretty much only a buggy device driver will do that. 100% cpu load, maybe but not a hard lock.
The way I read it is that smajor has been browsing videos using the standard video plugin and spotted some metadata which needed changing, then used another PC on the network to edit it using maybe notepad++, resulting in the data being displayed by the video plugin to change and causing the NPVR PC to hang.

It's the sort of thing I do from time to time, but I've never seen a lockup.
ACTCMS Wrote:The way I read it is that smajor has been browsing videos using the standard video plugin and spotted some metadata which needed changing, then used another PC on the network to edit it using maybe notepad++, resulting in the data being displayed by the video plugin to change and causing the NPVR PC to hang.

It's the sort of thing I do from time to time, but I've never seen a lockup.

Exactly. Had NPVR on the livingroom TV, saw a movie in my Videos that needed metadata update, used Ember Media Manager on my laptop to update it and crashed the Livingroom PVR.

The key is that it was modifying the item that currently highlighted in the directory.
smajor Wrote:Exactly. Had NPVR on the livingroom TV, saw a movie in my Videos that needed metadata update, used Ember Media Manager on my laptop to update it and crashed the Livingroom PVR.

The key is that it was modifying the item that currently highlighted in the directory.
I'm pretty sure it was not meant to work that way Wink
smajor Wrote:The key is that it was modifying the item that currently highlighted in the directory.

Maybe you were using an editor that locks the file during editing. Do you see this behaviour with Notepad?

Martin
*shrug* I figured I'd report it since I stumbled across it. Maybe it's a 2 minute for sub. I won't do it again.
Why stop? I was simply trying to help sub too, by gathering more information.

Martin
Sorry Martin, we were posting about the same time. My reply was for Reddwarf.

Sure, I'll have a whack at it with Notepad. It also could have been that it was updating the coverart or even the fanart. There are a few variables at work when using EmberMM.
smajor Wrote:Sorry Martin, we were posting about the same time. My reply was for Reddwarf.

Sure, I'll have a whack at it with Notepad. It also could have been that it was updating the coverart or even the fanart. There are a few variables at work when using EmberMM.
My point was more like: You can't expect Sub to take higth for every scenario that a user can invent.
Pages: 1 2