NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hibernate if recording fails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

My laptop wont hibernate itself using the normal windows idle activity. e.g I set it 10mins and it won't hibernate after 10mins (unless I have an HID event, then go idle). So the creates a problem with the system wakes to record as it won't go back to hibernation. To get around this problem I just use a hibernation command at the end of my PostPorcessing.bat file.
However if a recording fails (e.g device not found [becuase by usb fell out]) the PostProcessing.bat is not invoked.

Is there a why that I can get my latop to hibernate or run a batch file if a recording fails for any reason.

Many thanks.
Take a look at the MCE Standby Tool which might help you with your issues.
pcostanza Wrote:Take a look at the MCE Standby Tool which might help you with your issues.

Yes I've used this tool in the past when I had NPVR ontop of a WIN7 install (which I finally got rid of and now have XP for NPVR). I'm not fond of this tool and was looking for a more direct solution, e.g. runnig a batch file on failure or something similar.

I'm not worried about the windows hibernate on idle problem as the laptop is dedicated to Radio and NPVR only. Just looking for a more dpecifiy solution for NPVR on fail of recording.

@pcostnza, Many thanks for the suggestion but was looking for something else.
I would also recommend the MCE Standby Tool as it has always help locate Standby problems in XP and Vista. Which version did you use as I found V0.9.102 much more useful that V0.9.091.
MCE Standby Tool is no solution; it's just a workaround.

Your system isn't hibernating well? This can be software-, driver- or even hardwarerelated. One way to go is to open the commandshell and type "powercfg -requests".
If there are activies, which are preventing the hibernating on your system, you have a first direction where to fix it. If you want, you could post the results of the powercfg commands.
ShiningDragon Wrote:MCE Standby Tool is no solution; it's just a workaround.

Your system isn't hibernating well? This can be software-, driver- or even hardwarerelated. One way to go is to open the commandshell and type "powercfg -requests".
If there are activies, which are preventing the hibernating on your system, you have a first direction where to fix it. If you want, you could post the results of the powercfg commands.

I'm afraid I disagree a little.

I was plagued with my newish W7 system not going into hibernate or standby and spent a lot of time trying to find out why and fix it.
ISTR -requests said something like "file or handle open" but for the lif of me I could not find out what file or where was open. It could have been to a remote system. from a remote system or even internal but none of the tools to find open files found anything.

I tried MCE and without having to make any tweaks it "just worked" and I haven't had a hibernate problem since.
I understand, that it is sometimes not easy to identify the cause for preventing from hibernate. Last year i had this problem too. My workstation just didn't want to go into str. I couldn't understand, why. I uninstalled, reinstalled, added and removed. Changed drivers, played even with the MCE Standby Tool (without success!).
The solution was ... unexpected. I have an AVM FRITZ!Card PCI ISDN within my pc. But because i have some more pcs with this type of isdn card and wanted to share the adressbook and journal, i put the folder on the server and made it available via share.
This worked. But the steady connection via share (i had the software for fon and fax everytime running in the background) just prevented my system from going into standby. Something i didn't expected. Powercfg -requests lead me to this connection and i disabled this.
Problem solved, str reachable again.

Again, i can understand that it's sometimes a really heavy task to identify the cause for not going into standby. At first sight it could be really all of the system: network connection, wrong configured usb ports, bad drivers, background activity ...
It's nice to see, if the mce standby tool allow going into standby, but the problem itself isn't fixed at this way. I don't know exactly how mcest works, so there's a possibility that i could experience a loss of data (at least as long we don't know what's going on in the background of the pc for sure).

I am not a fan of workarounds, i prefer fixing errors.

EDIT:
Btw., if powercfg -requests doesn't lead to success, then there's the ability to run powercfg -energy . With this command, windows tries to put the pc into standby and log the whole system. It protocols every component/driver, if there are any errors or malfunctions.
I have had serveral strange standby problems. In one case I could not even force it into standby as it would immediatly wake up. There was a file still being used and MCE Standby tool told me that it was the network card causing the problem. I checked and the client was still running but was at the main menu so had no files open, but shutting down the client cured the problem. A similar happened on another occasion but could not locate the find the file in use but a reboot cured the problem. This is why I reboot my server every day at 2:30 if NextPVR is not making a recording.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've still not found the problem that prevents windows standby after timeout period and I tried mce standby tool which made things worse.

So at the moment I just have my system as it is with command line invoking standby on finished recordings and if I get a failed recording it just stays on I guess...

I also end up with the problem that my command line outs the system to standby when a recording finishes meaning any consecutive recordings probably won't work. I've not had the need for this scenario yet but I best it will come one day!