NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Can't play MPEG2 Videos :-(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

sorry in advance, I'm sending lots of questions at the moment and I'm sure some of these will have been answered before....but I can't find it ! But I do really appreciate all the help from everybody !

I've got NPVR up and running and it plays live TV and recordings no problem. But I have a number of MPEG2 videos (many created via Videoredo) which I cannot play via "Videos". I just get a black screen and no sound. It will play recordings via "videos" and it will also play DivX so I'm guessing it must be a codec issue but I'm not very good at the codec stuff.

I downloaded and ran "SD Pack 1.0" from DVB Support.net last night. It gave me some more MPEG2 decoders which I have tried but no luck. I've attached my logs and config file.

I'm running it on XP SP3.

Fantastic software by the way - I'm hooked !!
As far i can see in your logfiles, you seem to have problems with your codec, as you already mentioned before.
The renderer won't be loaded, the decoders are not used.
In this case i would recommend the following:
Remove all so called "codecpacks". As long you don't know, what each codecpack is doing exactly, you shouldn't install it.
If you're sure, that you removed the whole stuff, reboot your machine.
Think about, what your needs fit the best. For an easy start, you could install just ffdshow. So you have only one installed decoder, which isn't configured easy. But it is powerful, if configured right.
Make sure, you run in NextPVR folder (or just startmenu) ReRegister Filters.bat. It looks like, that your codecpackage has broken something in the NextPVR filters.
Make sure, that x264, MPEG-2/MPEG-1 are decoded by ffdshow video decoder, raw video processed as yv12 (only necessary if playing around with avisynth and co). Select ffdshow as decoder in the npvr decoder settings.

Set the renderer within NextPVR to VMR9. Try to watch videos and check, if everything works. If yes, you should configure the audiodecoder of ffdshow.
Please post your progress and your results in this case.
Did you tryed SAF6? Link below.
SAF have direct support of NPVR, you should be able to play any media you will try to open.
ShiningDragon Wrote:As far i can see in your logfiles, you seem to have problems with your codec, as you already mentioned before.
The renderer won't be loaded, the decoders are not used.
In this case i would recommend the following:
Remove all so called "codecpacks". As long you don't know, what each codecpack is doing exactly, you shouldn't install it.
If you're sure, that you removed the whole stuff, reboot your machine.
Think about, what your needs fit the best. For an easy start, you could install just ffdshow. So you have only one installed decoder, which isn't configured easy. But it is powerful, if configured right.
Make sure, you run in NextPVR folder (or just startmenu) ReRegister Filters.bat. It looks like, that your codecpackage has broken something in the NextPVR filters.
Make sure, that x264, MPEG-2/MPEG-1 are decoded by ffdshow video decoder, raw video processed as yv12 (only necessary if playing around with avisynth and co). Select ffdshow as decoder in the npvr decoder settings.

Set the renderer within NextPVR to VMR9. Try to watch videos and check, if everything works. If yes, you should configure the audiodecoder of ffdshow.
Please post your progress and your results in this case.

Ok so...
Unistalled the codec pack and rebooted
Installed FFDShow (ffdshow_rev4096_20111129.exe). Did a full install but haven't changed any settings.
Ran registerfilters.bat
Changed all decoders to FFDShow
Changed Renderer to VMR9

I am now getting:
TV - a black screen with sound
Video - a black screen with no sound

Logs attached again. I ran Filter check and have attached the file from that too.
Good, so we take a start from here.

Did you already configured the ffdhow videodecoder settings?
[Image: zwischenablage019e1ym.jpg]

And make sure, that the NextPVR application is whitelisted within ffdshow:
[Image: zwischenablage027e5xf.jpg]

Did you installed a splitter too? For example Haali Media Splitter, whose default installationsettings are fine enough.

EDIT:
Another thing your log is telling ... did you have installed directx as mentioned in the systemrequirements of npvr?
Code:
2011-12-09 13:39:53.765    [ERROR][1]    Error initialising Direct3D: SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE: Not available (-2005530518)
All of this is doing by SAF automatically including DX update Smile
hoborg Wrote:All of this is doing by SAF automatically including DX update Smile
I would recommend that he fix first the problem, before messing around with the next codecpack. ;D

I am wondering, which settings he used while transcoding his videos with "Videoredo", because as he wrote before:
R1Dave Wrote:"But I have a number of MPEG2 videos (many created via Videoredo) which I cannot play via "Videos". I just get a black screen and no sound."
Perhaps it's time to post more information of this media. Mediainfo GUI or GSpot would do this job fine.
From the logs it looks like you can play mpeg2 video with ffdshow but only .ts transport streams. In my experience, this means you don't have a splitter installed. Try the Haali splitter or the full LAV Filter.

Martin
R1Dave Wrote:But I have a number of MPEG2 videos (many created via Videoredo) which I cannot play via "Videos". I just get a black screen and no sound. It will play recordings via "videos" and it will also play DivX so I'm guessing it must be a codec issue but I'm not very good at the codec stuff.
You might want to try changing your config.xml settings to
Code:
<ForceMpgGraph>false</ForceMpgGraph>
    <MpgUsingSplitter>true</MpgUsingSplitter>
That's assuming you've got any codecs left Big Grin

Alex
ACTCMS Wrote:That's assuming you've got any codecs left Big Grin
Decoders are overvalued. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2