NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Question: Deleting Recording Files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would any of the following cause the database to get corrupted ?

- Deleting a recording from the recordings folder using the Videos sub-menu.
- Deleting a recording from the recordings folder using windows.
- Deleting a video file from one of the defined Videos folders using the Videos sub-menu.
- Deleting a video file from one of the defined Videos folders using windows.
- Moving a recording file from the recordings folder to one of the defined Videos folders (drag and drop).

How does NPVR reconcile these changes ?

I ask because it appears that I am more likely to see a crash post these sorts of actions - but I will need to dig around a bit more to confirm.
I have not had problems deleting files in the way you mention.

XJW Wrote:How does NPVR reconcile these changes ?

This depends! if you have <AutoRemoveMissingRecordings>false</AutoRemoveMissingRecordings> in confix then nothing happens (other than you don't get to see the "play" option" if you have <AutoRemoveMissingRecordings>true</AutoRemoveMissingRecordings> then any recordings not found in their original location will be removed from teh database.
I don't think this applies to the "video" side of things as that does not rely on the database, but on what is found on disk.

Moving recordings to a video directory should let them be seen there and "lost" in the recordings.
Martin - thanks. Sounds like I should look elsewhere Smile

Maybe my machine and not NPVR at all.
How do u know that it is database corruption that is causing nextpvr to crash and not some other reason?
It would be better to start problem solving by looking at the details of the error/crash.
if it crashes, does it write an error to the NPVR.log file? (If not, look in the windows event log).
I dont know that it is db. But I thought I would ask to better understand how it works.

Sub had mentioned in another post that my db was corrupted. I am looking for reasons why that may have occurred.

I most commonly see an issue when browsing Video and Recording Files. I think I have posted the associated log before but it was inconclusive.

The other issue I see is the system locking up on exit from liveview. The system needs to be reset to recover. There are no logs pointing to a trigger - just recovery logs post reboot.

I will post again if I find anything more useful.
if it locks up and (for example) the windows start key doesn't bring up the windows program list, then it is a hardware or driver issue.
A corrupted db suggests a disk / i/o problem as does browsing videos/recordings. on exit from liveview, it probably deletes the temp livetv file, again disk i/o related.

only things that spring to mind are:-
make sure you have the intel chipset drivers loaded for the Asus mobo.
run a disk surface scan
take the lid off the pc in case you have an overheating problem (has this started since the weather got hot?)
Also have a feel of the disk(s) whilst you are there. they shouldn't be going over 50deg C)
gEd Wrote:if it locks up and (for example) the windows start key doesn't bring up the windows program list, then it is a hardware or driver issue.
A corrupted db suggests a disk / i/o problem as does browsing videos/recordings. on exit from liveview, it probably deletes the temp livetv file, again disk i/o related.

only things that spring to mind are:-
make sure you have the intel chipset drivers loaded for the Asus mobo.
run a disk surface scan
take the lid off the pc in case you have an overheating problem (has this started since the weather got hot?)
Also have a feel of the disk(s) whilst you are there. they shouldn't be going over 50deg C)
And wjile you have the pc open, chech the cpu-cooler for dust, mine fills up every two months or so and needs cleaning.
Thanks guys.

Event logs dont show disk issues - you would normally see Disk IO logs when the drives are going bad. And I check regularly with DiskCheckup and this has always been clean. I will run a surface scan as you suggest.

I suspect that if overheating was the issue I would see more random issues - rather than linked to very specific actions. I use a handvac to remove dust pretty regularly. These issues were occuring during winter.

I do have the chipset drivers loaded. I did however have an issue with the catalyst drivers causing the screen to lock up post hibernate. I ended up removing the Catalyst drivers which fixed the issue. I may try swapping around graphics cards with another machine and try catalyst again. I note that Windows 7 loads a lot of drivers automatically - do you trust these ?

I dont want to impose as I know this forum is not about debugging peoples PCs. Excuse my thread drifting in that direction.
I think there are people here who are generally happy to help try and debug general PC problems even when the problem may be unrelated to nextpvr.

You can certainly trust the drivers that win7 downloads as they have been tested certified for use. They should be fine unless you need the latest drivers to resolve a known issue with your card. In fact people (myself included) have encountered issues with newer drivers such as 11.10.

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...ti+drivers

I have never heard of cat drivers causing a screen to lock post hibernate which makes me wonder if you have some general problem with the PC.
You could perhaps run a stress test such as prime95 to test mem, cpu (and PSU) but watch the temps, it will make that Q6600 damn hot.

Make sure all the cables are securely connected as those damn SATA connectors can come loose sometimes (sorry for stating bleeding obvious things)
Can you recall what (if at all) changes you made to the PC shortly before the problem started?
I swapped out the graphics card HD3600 >> 8500GT over xmas and I have not had a screen lockup since Smile

I still see an error message from time to time when browsing through recordings. I will clear the db and see if it reccurs.