NextPVR Forums

Full Version: closed caption capturing and display?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've got a SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuner and have NPVR set up recording things just fine, but the closed captioning doesn't come up. Is this something that is supported by NPVR? Actually, is this something I need to configure on the HDHomeRun? I haven't tried to see closed captioning directly from the HDHomeRun, but I would assume it is part of the feed from the tuner.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I havent been able to get it working either. Sub said before that NPVR will display what it gets implying that the hdhomerun isnt passing it through. I know npvr works with closed captioning if you use the ffdshow decoder and enable them under subtitles -> hd or sd mpeg2. Before i got the hdhomerun i was using hauppauge tuners and the closed caption worked. So either it is an error in the hdhomerun or how it is passing it along. I have verizon fios if that matters.
I think I first reported this broke about NPVR 1.5, before that it was okay.

Martin
If some one can bump the thread in a couple of days (when I'm back home), then I'll check it for the next release.
I've just had a look. TV1 (NZ) news off Freeview, selected the subtitle stream > DVB Subtitles [eng, Hearing impaired], and they appeared. I'm using EVR renderer and PDVD11 H264 decoder. They are out of sync with the picture and sound though. Only seem to be there on TV1 and TV2.
Ufortunately closed captions are different dvb subtitles so this not a relevant comparison. Teletext subtitles are different also.
sub Wrote:If some one can bump the thread in a couple of days (when I'm back home), then I'll check it for the next release.

Bump for checking on closed caption support for HDHomeRun tuners
I haven't tried North American style CC's in at least a year, but I just tried it now and it worked for me.

I took a look at the code to remind myself of any special requirements. It does to be using an MPEG2 video decoder with a "~CC" or "~CC Out" pin, like the "MainConcept (HCW) MPEG-2 Video Decoder" that Hauppauge ship with WinTV7.
Sorry, not sure what that means. Right now, if I watch live tv or watch recorded tv through NextPVR connected to my HDHomeRun and I cannot get closed captions to display (in the US). Do I need to use a different decoder then the default? Is that the issue? Or is there something that needs to be configured on the HDHomeRun (I checked the setup UI and didn't see anything related to captioning). When I get home tonight, I'll try watching live tv through WindowsMediaCenter to see if that shows captions or not.
I'm saying that whether or not closed captions works depends on the MPEG2 video decoder you're using. The "MainConcept (HCW) MPEG-2 Video Decoder" that I had configured worked fine.

It doesnt matter which digital device you're using. HDHomeRun or any other ATSC/QAM device is the same. There is nothing you need to configureo n the HDHomeRun.
Pages: 1 2 3