NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Failed Recordings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had problems with failed recordings and the recording service hanging. I had setup the recording service to restart ever night shortly after midnight and this resolved most of the issues. However I recently got an NMT and it seems to hang when the recording service is restarted. I disabled the recording service restart and now have the failed recordings again.

Last night there were 4 failed recordings. Also this morning it seems the recording service was hung as it wouldn't play live tv until I restarted the recording service. I have attached logs. The first logs Nrecord.log.zip are before I restarted the recording service, and the Nrecord2.zip are after restarting the service this morning.

The failed shows were:
Pawn Stars Monday, January 09, 2012 12:31 AM - 1:01 AM
Pawn Stars Monday, January 09, 2012 12:01 AM - 12:31 AM
Drugs, Inc Monday, January 09, 2012 12:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Dance Moms Sunday, January 08, 2012 11:00 PM - 12:01 AM

In case it helps I'm running windows 7, with an HDhomerun Prime tuner. All of the patches have been applied to NPVR per the Final.zip file.
ottoguy, you don't really have any NMT logging because you have 3 MVP server configured, but based on the overnight streaming I can tell you absolutely if you start play all on a folder of .avi's and then let the NMT run, it will crash when you shut of the recording service. For this use, you are safer to play all through the NMT interface, which doesn't depend on the server, just the file share.

Martin
I also find that if the NMT is just sat at a PVR menu and the recording service is restarted it needs a hard reboot. (I don't do that anymore !)
The NMT is working good until the recording service hangs and has to be restarted.

If I have NMT issues I probably will use the NMT interface. So far it has been good, and it's just easier to have the same interface.
martint123 Wrote:I also find that if the NMT is just sat at a PVR menu and the recording service is restarted it needs a hard reboot. (I don't do that anymore !)

There's no controlled shutdown defined so definitely you are at risk here, especially when the screensaver is trying to update the screen during the reset. Also with HDMI if the set is off there is nothing to sync with and the return to the NMT menu could be in an odd state. Most of the "crashes" are actually a black screen because the NMT software doesn't reload. However my personal experience is 4/5 times it will recover. I actually added some logic within the last few releases that wait for thread closures better before returning to the NMT menu.

@ottoguy that doesn't actually address your problem though, hopefully when sub has a chance to look at this he can find something. It looks like it could be somehow related to the ongoing issue of back-to-back recordings that have plagued NextPVR.

Martin.
Mine wasn't so much a support request, as confirmation for the OP that a recording service restart was a bad idea for a running NMT.

mvallevand Wrote:I actually added some logic within the last few releases that wait for thread closures better before returning to the NMT menu.

ah, I didn't notice mention of that with your release post so never got round to updating!. Will do at first available opportunity now - although stopping our bad habits has reduced to near zero the lockups.