NextPVR Forums

Full Version: archive or copy automatically to other Harddisc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am still planning on my new setup going to NPVR - I am thinking of having a SSD HD to keep noise down in living room - and then move recordings to a network disc in order not to fill up to disc (SSD = only 120 GB). I would like to see the recordings as recording including EPG info of course.

Can this archiving be done automatically?
I think most desktop PCs made in the last 5 years are more or less "Silent" so dont think SSDs are necessary. I have a 5 year old slimline PC as a client in my bedroom and cannot hear any sound if I am further than a foot away. As a server I have an old HP mini tower case with modern Asus motherboard with boot disk and 2TB data disk and again silent at a distance greater than a foot in a silent room.

I dont know if importing recordings from GB-PVR is any different but in NPVR if you want to move the data directory for existing recordings you "Export" the data from the old setup. Before you import recordings-backup.xml into your new setup you have to edit the location of every recording on the disk to point to the new location as it wont import a recording if it cannot find the recording at the specified location. The job is simplified by using "Find and Replace" in Notepad so if the old location was say "c:\recordings" you would put that in "Find" and in "Replace" you insert the new location. You do this on a copy of the file just in case you make a mistake and dont use "Replace All" until you are sure the first few changes are ok.
You might be able to set your recording library to your network drive or if this ain't possible edit your postprocessing.bat with a "MOVE" command with the appropriate path.
ok I rather record on local disc and then move to avoid network failure = no recording.

I guess there is no archiving function by default then.

will a move command in postprocessing.bat also move info in the database about the recording (EPG, time of recording etc)

or is the option to do this manually with some command?
Getting back to the noise issue, I use a 2TB western digital SATA caviar green drive for my live TV buffer and rec library as well as all other vids and tunes.
My box is sitting beneath my TV front and center and as far as noise is concearned I'm aware of an EPG dnld and Comskip proccessing a rec that just finished.
But it's not that loud or long and I find it somewhat useful as a "status monitor" as to what's going on. And this is mostly my primary drive working not the WD2TB.
jasjol Wrote:will a move command in postprocessing.bat also move info in the database about the recording (EPG, time of recording etc)
or is the option to do this manually with some command?
Take a look at NScriptHelper, it might be what you need.
With a little bit of scripting knowledge, you should be able to move the recording to another drive and then update the recording in the npvr database to point to the new location.
Take a look at the renamerecording.bat file that uses the NScriptHelper.exe utility to enable you to do NScriptHelper.exe %oldfile% %newfile% where these variables include the full drive+path+filename of the recording. You would just need to make some changes to how %newfile% is created and change the rename to a move. You might even be able to bribe the author of the script to help you.

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...Helper.exe

I know that SSD as more reliable the HD but I would be concerned that the sheer volume of writes that take place with a PVR disk, would start to degrade the performance.
How about a laptop disk, possibly in a silent enclosure?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/2673...mshardware

my 2TB WD green drive + 1.5TB drive are sat (vertically) between dense foam strips in the PC (under the TV). The system is effectively silent as I have put a lot of effort into making the PC as quiet as possible with expensive fans, PSUs and CPU coolers. Some drives also have AAM settings you can enable which reduce seek noise.
[QUOTE=gEd;428788I know that SSD as more reliable the HD but I would be concerned that the sheer volume of writes that take place with a PVR disk, would start to degrade the performance.[/QUOTE]
That is something I need to consider did not think of the extensive writes during recording. On the other hand I guess windows write a lot in normal run and on this it will not run all the day just when recording / watching. Still weear and tear on SSD may be an issue.

I will consider using normalt drive and in that case work more on lowering the sound otherwise.
i think you are making things hard for yourself but anyway here goes
why not run the one in the lounge as a client (ssd)
then have another pc that has the big hard drives in it doing the recording(server mode)

or like everyone else is saying choose the right case and do some research on hard drives (rubber mounting drives makes a huge difference)