NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HD Recordings With Set Top Box / STB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HD DirecTV STB
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800
MCE Blaster

I have always wondered this. I know with my current setup that I can only record using analog so my recordings are at 720x480. Is there a different setup I could do to have HD recordings using my HD DirecTV STB?
Mhm, i don't own one of them, but perhaps you'll find an answer here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56464

They're mentioning an component output for which you're needing a dongle.
NextPVR supports the Hauppauge HD-PVR (component) and Hauppauge Colossus (component/HDMI non HDCP). I have used the HD-PVR for years and think it is great.

Martin
I agree with Martin. I have a pair of HD-PVRs with my STBs on one computer acting as a server to several clients and it works very well.
Quote:What resolutions are you recording with NPVR?

I use the HDPVR to record both 720p & 1080i over component.
Yes, I record at 1080 exclusively and my PC has a Firewire (1394) card in it. I'm able to change channels on the STB with that rather than IR blasting. It's much faster. The drivers are a bit legacy for that, so I'm restricted to 32bit Windows editions.
It might be getting time for me to upgrade my TV card. If NPVR supported video capture cards along with TV cards, that would save money for us STB users.

EDIT: Well maybe not. HD video capture cards are comparable price-wise to HD TV cards.