NextPVR Forums

Full Version: recording service not running at recording time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This problem is killing my npvr, I'm losing half of my recordings to this problem and I'm stumped. I had this problem for a while so I wiped my pc and reinstalled and I'm still getting the same problem, I thought it might be related to the pc sleeping but today I had it set to record the race and the pc was busy seeding a race torrent so it hasn't and won't sleep all weekend and I still lost the recording to this message. I have all the latest patches including the cumulative skip patch installed. LOgs attached.
If you are talking about recording today the recording service stopped this morning

2012-03-17 08:32:05.806 [DEBUG][4] OnStop() complete...
and didn't restart until
012-03-17 18:54:36.890 [DEBUG][4] OnStart()
so the no running message is true
2012-03-17 18:54:44.671 [DEBUG][7] Marking recording (1609) as 'Recording service not running at recording time'

In the NPVR logs it looks like it was trying to talk to the recording service today but of course it was failing.

Martin
Hiya Mr Jolly Jumper Martin, hope you are well!?

But to the layman what does your post mean?

Why is this "of course" failing?

cheers

steeb
The recording service was stopped all day.

Martin
Indeed Martin, aka Mr JJ Big Grin, but you see what I am getting at?

WHY was the recording service stopped all day. Something with WIN7 set up? Privileges not set correctly etc?

cheers

steeb
Your NDigitalHost.exe isn't running; windows is probably blocking it. This is killing the recording service.

Read carefully the IMPORTANT NOTE here: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post432282

(edit: the bit martin and steeb are talking about has nothing to do with it)

(edit 2: issues like this is why I was very hesitant to make the Pre-R2 "skip patch" an 'official' R2 update. having to manually register NPVRTSReader2.ax is another. fortunately sub is now close to a new release that will make all of this moot)

(and edit 3, the last I promise: for Martin, I'm talking about this:
Code:
2012-03-13 21:58:00.173    [DEBUG][7]    allocating recording target filename: D:\Body of Proof\Body of Proof_20120313_22002300.ts
2012-03-13 21:58:00.173    [DEBUG][7]    About to start recording (1546 on 21): D:\Body of Proof\Body of Proof_20120313_22002300.ts...
2012-03-13 21:58:00.205    [DEBUG][7]    Starting digital host
--- the digital host doesn't really start, and most of NRecord is now stuck; after this it does nothing but EPG updates ---
2012-03-14 00:40:05.094    [DEBUG][4]    Resuming...
2012-03-14 00:40:06.514    [DEBUG][5]    cycling MVP servers
2012-03-14 02:00:02.509    [DEBUG][8]    About to update EPG
2012-03-14 02:00:02.509    [DEBUG][8]    Updating EPG...

@sub - if you're reading, is there some way you could have NRecord recover from NDigitalHost just hanging and doing nothing? You put in some changes earlier that made NRecord spool up another NDigitalHost if it actually crashes out properly, but it still goes stupid if NDigitalHost hangs. I realize this particular case is likely due to windows file blocking, but there can be other conditions where NDigitalHost might just hang up.
johnsonx42 Wrote:the bit martin and steeb are talking about has nothing to do with it

:d
johnsonx42 Wrote:Your NDigitalHost.exe isn't running; windows is probably blocking it. This is killing the recording service.

Are you sure about this? His DVR won't need this.

Martin
I'm confused, some recordings work fine and others don't so I can't see how any files would be blocked as for the recording service being stopped I stopped and started the service manually this morning to reapply the patches to make sure I didn't miss one so the service should have been running. The recordings earlier in the week really puzzle me since monday night it recorded American Pickers with no problem then didn't record anything else the rest of the week and the pc was used each night for reading forums and surfing so it should have been awake for at least some of the recordings.
donschjr Wrote:I'm confused, some recordings work fine and others don't so I can't see how any files would be blocked as for the recording service being stopped I stopped and started the service manually this morning to reapply the patches to make sure I didn't miss one so the service should have been running. The recordings earlier in the week really puzzle me since monday night it recorded American Pickers with no problem then didn't record anything else the rest of the week and the pc was used each night for reading forums and surfing so it should have been awake for at least some of the recordings.

American Pickers was on your DCR, so it wouldn't need NDigitalHost. When you stopped the recording service it was not a clean exit and you may not have had all the patches. It really doesn't look like you restarted the service until this evening perhaps it took a reboot?

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3