NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Use background recording service setting no longer needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has the out of process setting superseded this?
My NextPVR has the background setting deselected and seems OK.
Petrovski Wrote:Use background recording service setting no longer needed?
Yes, it's no longer needed. I had meant to remove the checkbox a few releases back, but forgot. I decided it'd always use the background recording service rather than giving the user the option (since the concept confused peopled, and there were some scenarios where it could lead to problems).

Quote:Has the out of process setting superseded this?
These are entirely different things, and unrelated.

The background recording service exists to monitor the recording schedule, start/top recordings at the required times, update the epg, and to act as a webserver etc, without the frontend nextpvr.exe needing to be running, or without the machine even being logged in.

The new 'out of process' function allows the background recording service to start the actual recordings in a separate process, so that if the device locks up or crashes, so that everything else continues to function and the recording service can recover from the problem

Quote:My NextPVR has the background setting deselected and seems OK.
This setting is ignored. It only functions in my debug builds, where I use it to make some of my testing easier.