NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HD in NextPVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have used NextPVR for some months now on my main PC with so much success that I have just built a dedicated HTPC running with an Hauppauge TD500 Dual Digital Terrestrial tuner with the output via the HDMI port on an Asus 210 silent graphics card to my Panasonic LED HD TV. This setup replaces a Virgin V+ cable box and a Panasonic Freeview recorder/DVD player.

As this tuner has no HD capability I am considering buying a TBS Dual DVB-S2 High Definition Digital Satellite Tuner and putting up a dish.

I have 2 questions
1. Will NextPVR record and playback in HD?
2. Can I run both cards side by side in the same setup, and what happens if I AutoMerge Channels of the same name in the Bulk Map under Channels?

I hope someone can answer these questions before I part with the cash for the parts and go to the trouble of the installation.

Thanks for your answers in advance
Bob
Bobbybear Wrote:I have 2 questions
1. Will NextPVR record and playback in HD?
2. Can I run both cards side by side in the same setup, and what happens if I AutoMerge Channels of the same name in the Bulk Map under Channels?

Yes, it'll record HD channels easily enough. To play them back, you may need different (or additional) codecs installed if you haven't anything suitable yet, and you'll need to ensure your HTPC and its graphics card are up to the job, but if it's new, then chances are you'll be fine.

And assuming you have enough slots for two cards side by side, there'll be no problems there too. If you merge channels - say BBC1 from DVB-S and DVB-T (x2 each), then your guide will show a single instance of BBC1, but you'll have four tuners capable of recording from it. In reality, you'll actually have to manually merge some stuff, because the naming can be slightly different between Freeview and Freesat (eg BBC1 and BBC One).

Iain