NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Max number of recordings...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

For some reason, I can only get NextPVR to record 12 different channels.

I have 10 hdhomeruns, for a total of 20 possible channels.

But for some reason, when I try to record all 20 at once, I see the files get created, but only 12 grow in size while the other 8 stays at 0 bytes. All channel signals are good.

Any ideas why it always stops at 12 recordings regardless of which channels/which tuners get used?

The network utilization on the computer is only 11%, it is writing to a lsi megaraid 5 array with 8x3tb HDs, so should beable to handle the write demands.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
In the GUI it says "no errors, but no data delivered. This is usually because the device failed to lock a signal."

Is this a limit of next pvr for 12 tuners?
You're running out of ports to allocate for HDHomerun communications; you've got 8 occurances of this message:
Code:
2012-07-22 13:31:14.436    [DEBUG][7]    Allocated port: 0
2012-07-22 13:31:14.436    [DEBUG][7]    HDHomeRunRecorder@3
2012-07-22 13:31:14.436    [ERROR][7]    Arg!!! allocatedPort == 0
I'd wager sub never considered the possibility that someone would try to use 10(!) hdhomeruns at once, and didn't allocate a big enough port range. This probably because it's hard to imagine how using so many tuners at once could possibly be personal, non-commercial use.
I was thinking you must have some great TV there in the UK. Then, with the Olympics coming up, there might be that much that needs to be captured for posterity.
johnsonx42 Wrote:I'd wager sub never considered the possibility that someone would try to use 10(!) hdhomeruns at once, and didn't allocate a big enough port range.
That's true, and I remember thinking the user would run out of network bandwidth trying to use that many hdhomeruns simultaneously.
Each hdhomerun has only a 100mbit port, so if you hook them all to a gigabit switch, and of course have a gigabit card in the NPVR box, then network bandwidth shouldn't be an issue at all.

Storage device write performance might be an issue, and RAID 5 certainly doesn't help in that department.

Is it really possible to record from 20 different public muxes anywhere in the UK? I thought there were only 5 or 6 muxes on any given transmitter? Digital cable maybe?
johnsonx42 Wrote:Is it really possible to record from 20 different public muxes anywhere in the UK? I thought there were only 5 or 6 muxes on any given transmitter? Digital cable maybe?

Something doesn't add up here - we only have 6 muxes on free to air here in the UK and one of them is T2 so no good for the hdhomerun.
So with only 3 hdhomeruns you should be good for all 50ish TV Channels and 24 Radio channels, disk writing permitting - though for the life of me I can't think why you would want to record more than half a dozen programs at the same time:confused: In 6 years of recording the most I have ever needed was 4 at once - only one time, which was covered by 3 single Tuners no problem.

Cable here in the UK is a monopoly run by Virgin Media - there are a few unencrypted channels but accessing them via anything other than their box is not permitted.

Whats the cost of 10 hdhomeruns in the UK - about $1800 - bit of overkill me thinks
We do have lots and lots of transponders on the main 28.2 satellite feed, but I have no idea if the hdhomerun works with them? There aren't really any other sources: as Lao Pan says all (legal) cable is encrypted so the only way you can record from that is via svideo (or whatever) output from the Virgin box.

Iain
As far as I could see the hdhomrun is DVB-T and DVB-C all unencrypted - no satellite.

Unless you are addicted to soaps, sport, unreality TV and shopping - why would you need so many tuners? Since Christmas we haven't recorded more than 2 or 3 programs a week - keep having to explain to SWMBO that her series that she has been recording on freeview have been Stolen by Sky :mad: Only Merlin series 5 in the autumn on BBC 1 HD to look forward to.
sub Wrote:That's true, and I remember thinking the user would run out of network bandwidth trying to use that many hdhomeruns simultaneously.

Is this hardcoded or is it a configuration thing I can change on my end?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, its a proof of concept thing right now, trying to see if it's possible to record 20+ channels
Pages: 1 2