NextPVR Forums

Full Version: System noise while graphics are moving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since I upgraded my computer, OS and moved to NPVR (so I have no idea which new component causes the problem) I get an odd background system noise through the TV speakers when nvpr's graphics are moving. Not during playback, but just when dialogue boxes are opening and closing, and when I move the home menu left and right. It sounds like a whirring kind of noise. If I am deleting a lot of recordings from the same folder one by one, the pitch of the noise gets higher as the number of recordings in the folder goes down. I guess I could post a recording taken with my phone (haven't taken one yet) if anyone think it'd be helpful. Everything works, but this does get on my nerves.
If the speakers are off do you still get the noise?
grit on the inside of your tv screen perhaps? :-D

good question from McBain to ascertain is this is an actual windows sound or rather a noise from the PC

basically, if it is not a windows sound, it must be a noise coming from inside the PC. Either the cpu fan or as I suspect, you have bought a new graphics card with a (small?) whiney fan on it. As Next PVR is using directx calls, when you start navigating the menu's, the card either switches to 3d mode and a higher fan speed else the effort of displaying the menus is causing the card to heat up. Plausible ??
it's just electrical noise from the operation of the graphics components leaking into the audio circuitry. there's little you can do about it other than swapping components. if you're using on-board video, get a different motherboard or try a discrete graphics card. or, if you have an old pci sound card laying around, try that and disable the on-board sound.
I had a similar problem with a PC Chips (ECS) mainboard -the same company famed for it's fake cache chips in the 90's! I would get audio feedback when any graphics moved on the screen, even just scrolling through webpages. I lived with it until I got a new mobo. Never did try a sound card though, presumably it would have sorted it but never had any spare PCI slots to put one in...
Pob Wrote:I had a similar problem with a PC Chips (ECS) mainboard -the same company famed for it's fake cache chips in the 90's! I would get audio feedback when any graphics moved on the screen, even just scrolling through webpages. I lived with it until I got a new mobo. Never did try a sound card though, presumably it would have sorted it but never had any spare PCI slots to put one in...
I solved that same problem by buying a digital usb soundcard, dead quiet in the speakers unless there is some actual audio.
make sure your sound output is not set to full
To get higher volume turn your tv or amp up more
yes, stustunz's advice is sound (oooh, pun!) - sometimes the noise is introduced in the pre-amp circuit, so more pre-amp gain equals more noise.