NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New install - App freezes / crashes after download of data from service
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Brian, this post is to accompany a crash log sent through the Android market place.

My device is a Sony tablet S running Android 4.0.3, and the service is running on a WHS 2011 machine (Server 2008 based x64). I have disabled the window firewall for this test.

The service appears to install and run correctly, and the app installs and fires up the initial config screen. After setting the config (web user/password verified as the same for npvr and ndroid) the app then runs, goes through it's downloading/extracting files/ populating database message. Once that's complete the screen that appears has the days of the week across the top in buttons that I can select (but nothing else happens), and next to the ndroid logo in the top left corner it says -1:UNKNOWN. There is nothing else on the screen, which is unresponsive to any taps, etc. If I tap on the logo or the "-1:UNKNOWN" text the app crashes.

The file structure in the /sdcard/Android/data/uk.co.beetec.android.nDroid/files/temp directory appears to be in place populated (15 files there). There is plenty of space available.

Grateful if you could have a look at this.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Everything looks OK from the service logs - I think the problem must be to do with the channels data. Attach the channel.zip file located in the \data\zip folder and I'll see if that's causing the problem.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian,

Here's the channel.zip from the server, do you need the one from the tablet?

Thanks

Chris
lostboy Wrote:Here's the channel.zip from the server, do you need the one from the tablet?
No, that zip is enough.

I have a feeling the reason might be...
Code:
8738,BBC PARL'MNT,79
...but I'm not 100% sure. I think it could be the apostrophe in PARL'MNT that's causing the channel data import to fail which then means everything else is failing.

An apostrophe is a special character in SQLite databases and the nDroid code handles it fine for TV programme titles and descriptions etc but perhaps I didn't write the code for channel data to cope with it.

I'll need to check later tonight as I'm currently on my way out for a few hours.

Cheers,
Brian
OK, I changed the odd channel name to remove the apostrophe and made sure that the channels.zip listing in the ndroid zip data file had updated on the server. I uninstalled/reinstalled the service and the tablet app to ensure that I'd cleared out any data files and this time I get a pop-up on the tablet telling me that an "nDroid Service upgrade required" - "This version of nDroid requires v1.8.1 (or later) of the nDroid Service...". I double checked that I had service version 1.8.2 on the server (downloaded again to be sure) - same result.

I'm not sure what I've done that might have caused this.

Chris
lostboy Wrote:OK, I changed the odd channel name to remove the apostrophe and made sure that the channels.zip listing in the ndroid zip data file had updated on the server.
Hmm, well good and bad news. The good news is that the apostrophe would definitely have thrown the whole data import and would have been the cause of the original problem. I've fixed this for the next release.

Quote:...this time I get a pop-up on the tablet telling me that an "nDroid Service upgrade required" - "This version of nDroid requires v1.8.1 (or later) of the nDroid Service...". I double checked that I had service version 1.8.2 on the server (downloaded again to be sure) - same result.

I'm not sure what I've done that might have caused this.
...and the bad news is I also have no idea what you might have done to cause the version popup.

The version checking is actually a very simple bit of code and I've been staring at it for the past half hour trying to work out how it's triggering that popup falsely.

Try checking the nDroidService.log at the most recent time you started the service. You should have a line like this...
Code:
09/09/2012 17:01:43.687 nDroidService v1.8.2 build: 1.8.4510.3498 started.
Don't worry about the build: part of it, it's the v.1.8.2 bit that should be logged.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian,

the nDroid service log looks OK. Latest logs and data attached.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Ah...looks like you found another bug I need to fix.

From the nDroidServiceListener.log this is the bit where the nDroid app is checking the service is running and what version it is...
Code:
09/09/2012 14:52:28.004 hrhkey.Key: x-ndroid-action hrhkey.Value: checkstatus
09/09/2012 14:52:28.004 INVALID CREDENTIALS
It looks like the nDroid app and the service don't have matching username/password and the failure to get the service status means the app can't get the proper version info hence the popup.

I'll check the code but it looks like it ought to be telling you the credentials are wrong instead of giving that popup.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian,

thanks, and my apologies - I had forgotten that with an reinstall of the service I needed to reset the service credentials again. Have now successfully loaded schedules data to the tablet. Time to have a play :-)

Many thanks

Chris
Chris,

No need to apologise. If nDroid had reported something sensible regarding bad username/password then you'd have probably realised what was happening. My fault for not writing this into the code - I'll fix it for the next release.

Cheers,
Brian