NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Transcoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm wondering, as a general rule, what format do you guys store your recordings in. Do you leave them as they come out of NPVR (TS) or do you convert them into something else. If you do convert them, what do you convert them into and what size. I'm thinking of converting by OTA recordings to 720p to make the files smaller and manageable. Any thoughts?
I have lots of hard drive space and usually, after I watch them, I delete them. The ones I want to save I use either VideoReDo or one of 3 other programs to convert to 720 mkv.
After editing the commercials out of them, I save them (still in TS format) at a specific location. I have an automated batch/task launched every night running until about 6am, or until there are no more videos (whichever happens first), encoding them with handbrake.
I keep them as is (.ts), as TBH I am scared that comskip won't work on the new format, which is what I understand can be the case.
I know I can have comskip run, take out the ads, then recompile / transcode, but if the comskip cuts are not good, or the show runs over, I've lost the bits.

k.
I run some Mencoder script in my "post-processing" to transcode to AVI and then remove the commercials. I also bump the audio up 10db as these files are uploaded to my phone every morning. I don't keep much of a library of network TV because shows cycle round and round there's no need for archives. So what I watch (TS) is deleted right after watching and I purge the folder with the AVI copies about once a month.
Hard disk space is cheap, so I opt to keep them in .TS format and not transcode unless there is a specific reason to do so. Even though we record a lot and sometimes don't get around to watching until the next summer when we're bored, I'd rather just use an extra drive instead of keeping my cpu cranking day and night transcoding just to save some space.

The DivX encoder from DivX works really well and isn't expensive. I've also used Handbrake and it does a good job.
Zogg Wrote:Hard disk space is cheap
For those who can afford it... Rolleyes

(I guess I've read that argument one time too many :p)
Zogg Wrote:instead of keeping my cpu cranking day and night transcoding just to save some space.

That sounds a bit extreme. It takes me about 67min to transcode 1 hour to AVI without commercials. This time is from the shows finish and includes a Comskip run, transcode to AVI and then Comclean run.
OTAjunkie Wrote:That sounds a bit extreme. It takes me about 67min to transcode 1 hour to AVI without commercials.
That's about right. YMMV but handbrake compresses a TS video (post commercial cutting) to about 40% of the original filesize. Adding to that the commercials, you're cutting your hard disk space requirements in half.
And with proper scripting/batching you can automate the encoding, without much hassle... Smile
I transcode using mencoder to 720p mkv and it only takes me 10 minutes for 1 hour so a couple hours of transcoding overnight. I've only got an old dual core too! Just remember to enable multithreading in mencoder it'll double your speed!

We are pack rats. It took me three years before I finally watched SG Atlantis after recording.
Pages: 1 2 3