NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Issue getting "external" VLC to work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running npvr 2.5.5 on a XP machine. Tuner is a HDhomerun Prime. I am using NEWA ( with FireFox 15.0.1) from a Windows 7 64bit machine on the same subnet to access the xp box.
In the NEWA config I changed the VLC pointers to the correct folder for 64bit machine. I also have the "Open Stream in External Player" checked. When I click on View Live it opens up the FireFox VLC plugin (even though I have use external checked) and streams fine. Unfortunately I can't seem to re-size the plugin window so I would prefer to use the external VLC player. Even with the external player checked it won't direct the stream to it. I disabled the plug-in, closed FireFox and restarted it, but still watch live opens up a FireFox window, but now nothing streams of course with the plugin disabled. I can get the external VLC to stream just fine if I copy link as, paste, and edit the watch live link and manually put into the external VLC instance. I can't seem to get NEWA to start an external VLC session and stream.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
I have the exact same problem, I missunderstand your post at first, and made a new one (bad me) Tried to delete my thread but don't think it works.

I'm running nextpvr on WHS2011 server and have windows 7 clients (google browser).

I tried unchecking the "Open Stream in External Player" and I get the same behavior as when it's ticked..

I also get slightly different interface using live-tv vs recordings.

Bad news, when I tcik "Open Stream in External Player" again, I get ERROR in the vlc popup when I try live-tv
Something def went wrong unticking "open stream in external player"

Now live-tv doesn't work either on web or directly in vlc, recordings still work though.

EDIT:

Rebooted and got it back to "normal" again, the way described in first post.
Working as designed....below is the info from the change log (available on the statistics tab) that oulines how the View Live
  • Added link on Guide (CSS and Table based) to view live TV stream for each channel.
    • Functionality requires VLC 1.0.x or higher to be installed on the client....nothing on the server.
      • VLC Website
      • When installing VLC ensure that you select to install the activeX and Mozilla plugings
      • Currently streaming outside your internal network is not possible. (since this entry sub did add a config file setting to allow this to work)
      • Works in IE, FireFox and Chrome. May need to follow process outlined in below post for Chrome to work
This functionality does not require VLC to be on the server....it is not connected to that functionality at all. The play in external player is connected to the VLC streaming capability setup on the server.

There is a workaround you can use within VLC itself.... just open a network stream using: your-server:yourport/live?channel=the channel # you want to watch (i.e. server:8866/live?channel=2 )
Thanks for the explanation. I misinterpreted the intent of "external player".