NextPVR Forums

Full Version: black screen with 2.5.9, ok with 2.5.5 (HD-PVR)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. Newbie to the forum. I recently switched over to NPVR. I installed NPVRSetup_2_5_5 a few weeks back and got it up and running with minimal headaches. My system is running a Windows 8 (90 day trial) and a Hauppauge HDPVR. Last night I noticed the 2.5.9 upgrade available. I followed the instructions to close the app, stop the service, and exit the sys tray app. However, after the upgrade, I only got a blank screen when viewing live TV. I reviewed all the setting and everything appeared to be the same in the decoder and device sections. The only way I could seem to get live tv to work was by open the TotalMedia Extreme software (which was bundled with the HDPVR) and open 'Record Video'. TME would display an error that the capture device was in use. Once I clicked 'OK' then I would see video in NPVR.

After a handful of reboots, and changing options in the device and decorder sections I still had no luck. For now, I completely uninstalled 2.5.9 from the control panel, deleted the NPVR folder from the user profile, and deleted the npvr folder from program files. Interestingly enough after re-installing 2.5.5, when I go to the settings in NPVR it says I'm running version 2.5.9, but the nextpvr.exe file is dated 7/8/2012.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Otherwise thanks for your time and effort in developing this app.
this was posted in the tech support sticky, I'm guessing by mistake, so I moved it to a new thread here.
if you want help with getting 2.5.9 working then upgrade again, reproduce the problem and post your logs.
I think actually patch #8 (link in my signature) may apply to your situation as well (obviously only if you return to 2.5.9). mvallevand also suggested turning off a new option on the HD-PVR device config screen, something about "waiting" (I think sub's release notes describe it as "whether the NextPVR should ignore the inital data from the HDPVR when a recording starts"). I don't have an HD-PVR, so I can't see any of those screens. mvallevand is far more familiar with HD-PVR on 2.5.9, perhaps he'll chime in.
Thanks for the reply. Tried the upgrade again after verifying everything was shut down, and receive the same black screen with no audio. Attached are the logs. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I've got dual HD-PVRs myself. I've been having issues since upgrading to 2.5.9 too. johnsonx42 is correct, Martin is the man when it comes to our HD-PVRs.

The error at the end of your log is very similar to that which I'm getting with my clients playing back LiveTV from the HD-PVR.

He suggested to me to try that patch, plus turn off the 2nd option in the Devices section for the HD-PVR "wait longer before starting recording capture."

I've been watching Live TV without incident for about 2 hours. My problem is pretty intermittent, so I'll still have to see if it works for me.

What decoders are you using in your settings?
jman315 Wrote:Thanks for the reply. Tried the upgrade again after verifying everything was shut down, and receive the same black screen with no audio. Attached are the logs. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
If you do a record, do your end up with a file that has data in it, or is it zero bytes long? This will give us an indication of whether it's a capture or playback problem.
I'd say it's definitely a capture problem. I just exited the program I was watching, went into the guide, and selected record. When I look at the file it created - 0 bytes.
smajor Wrote:I've got dual HD-PVRs myself. I've been having issues since upgrading to 2.5.9 too. johnsonx42 is correct, Martin is the man when it comes to our HD-PVRs.

The error at the end of your log is very similar to that which I'm getting with my clients playing back LiveTV from the HD-PVR.

He suggested to me to try that patch, plus turn off the 2nd option in the Devices section for the HD-PVR "wait longer before starting recording capture."

I've been watching Live TV without incident for about 2 hours. My problem is pretty intermittent, so I'll still have to see if it works for me.

What decoders are you using in your settings?

For H.264 Video: Arcsoft Video Decoder
For AC3 Audio: ffdshow Audio Decoder
Everything else is disabled.
It looks like it's trying to use the component video input, and SPDIF audio. Is this what you intended it to use?
sub Wrote:It looks like it's trying to use the component video input, and SPDIF audio. Is this what you intended it to use?

It should be using component video but RCA Back. Even when I changed the setting, it reverted back to SPDIF the next time I went into the settings.
Pages: 1 2