NextPVR Forums

Full Version: multiple tuners with IR blaster outputs how does IRSS know?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I'm about to go into the IR blasting world and I've got a few questions.

I'm going to have the following:
hvr1800 (one blaster?)
adaptec dual tuner (two blasters)
possible HDPVR (one blaster)

All of which have IR blasters and two of which have IR receivers.

I will at first be using one blaster but want to eventually get multiple blasters. How do I go about doing this? I am currently set up using IRSS 1.4.2.3496.
if the adaptec has a MCE style blaster dongle use that, you can blast to multiple boxes with just one blaster eye..[if they're different stb's]
if same exact stb remote codes for the boxes, then you can place the blaster eyes so they only blast to the appropriate box,[maybe tape over it so it doesn't leak out]
IRSS can address each eye separately, so can blast same codes to different eyes at appropriate time..

mainly just determine how many stb's you need to blast to, and if they need same codes, or different...
stb's with same codes will have to use an separate eye for each one,
stb's with different remote codes can be blasted with one eye...[only correct stb will respond,others ignore it]

Do you already have blast codes setup for an stb?
thanks for the response! I was getting kind of down with no responses.

Looking at your response you make a good point the adaptec is MCE style but the hauppauge is not so IRSS will only chose the adaptec.

So then what happens when I want to use two hauppauge cards each with a blaster (HDPBR and HVR1800)? Do I use another blaster executable?

Here's the progression I want:
3 analog tuners
2 analog tuners + 1 blasting a STB
2 analog tuners + 2 STB
you don't have to blast with the card you record with, so it's really about the model of stb's you have.. are they all the same? or different models/blast codes?
the adaptec blaster can blast to as many different code stb's as you want, but it can only blast to 2 of same exact model stb at a time..

so basically i'm asking how many total stb's you need to blast to, and how many of them share same remote codes?

i made a blast helper for irss to enable it to blast multiple sets of codes[stb's], using one blaster...
the built-in cmdline prog doesn't support multiple code sets [unless they've changed it]
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post394524
i haven't used it in a while so let me know if anything isn't working..
I'll probably be blasting to two of the same model for now. From what you are saying I should be all good to use the Adaptec.

If I do want to add an HD STB then I'll use the haupblast.exe that comes with NPVR along with the HDPVR. In this case since I'll be using an HDPVR AND an HVR1800 each of which can have an IR blaster how does haupblast.exe know which blaster to use - note only one blaster will be connected between the two Hauppauge cards?

I'll be running Win 7 x64 BTW.
that is a tricky one, sub may be of better help there, i'm not sure how the Haupp. cards handle multiples...

if just using one set of stb codes, then u don't need my little app..Smile

just make sure the blaster eyes don't bleed onto each other's boxes, separate them a bit and place blasters close to ir receivers..
when you setup blasting, use the -port command to direct to one or the other box.

if the HD has different [remote] codes when you get it, you could still use the same blasters, just have to put one eye so 2 boxes can 'see' it..then one eye could control both by blasting appropriate codes..
jam_zhou Wrote:I'll probably be blasting to two of the same model for now. From what you are saying I should be all good to use the Adaptec.

If I do want to add an HD STB then I'll use the haupblast.exe that comes with NPVR along with the HDPVR. In this case since I'll be using an HDPVR AND an HVR1800 each of which can have an IR blaster how does haupblast.exe know which blaster to use - note only one blaster will be connected between the two Hauppauge cards?

I'll be running Win 7 x64 BTW.

I don't think that there is a way to discretely blast to two different Hauppauge blasters. So you can only use one if both STBs use the same codes.

There are MCE blasters that have two ports and supposedly you can blast to each port discretely with IRSS but I was not able to get that to work in Win7 or WinXP. I currently blast to each one discretely to each port of an MCE blaster using HIP but HIP doesn't work with Win7 x64.

If you have a two port MCE blaster and are able to get the ports to blast discretely and you use haupblast as the 3rd one then you can blast to 3 STBs. If you need to blast to more then you have to have a 2nd computer with a capture card, blaster, and NextPvr.
dvasco Wrote:...but HIP doesn't work with Win7 x64.
I have HIP working just fine on two different W7 Ultimate x64 computers. Just make sure you download the latest version from ByRemote.
jam_zhou Wrote:If I do want to add an HD STB then I'll use the haupblast.exe that comes with NPVR along with the HDPVR. In this case since I'll be using an HDPVR AND an HVR1800 each of which can have an IR blaster how does haupblast.exe know which blaster to use - note only one blaster will be connected between the two Hauppauge cards?
As mentioned above, unfortunately Hauppauge's blaster stuff only supports a single blaster.
I understand that it only supports one blaster so I will only use one blaster. The thing is I will have two hauppauge blaster ports. How will haupblast.exe know which port to use?

Example: two hauppauge cards thus two blaster ports. I will only use one. Which port do I plug my blaster in?

Another scenario: I will start off with only one Hauppauge blaster (HVR1800) and one blaster port. If I get this all set up then add another (HDPVR) Hauppuge card with blaster, will things get messed up>
Pages: 1 2