NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Can NPVR support 12 or more tv tuners?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I'm planning to overhaul my rig and will be replacing my single tuners to Quad tuners.

I will be using 2 x Hauppauge HVR2200 dual tuners(used) and 2 or 3 x Quad DVB-T2 tuners(new), total will be 12 or 16 tuners.

Before I buy the quad tuners, wonder is there any known issue or problem with NPVR or Windows 7(or 8) for using so many tuners?
Or is there anything I must take note of?

Thanks.
There may be a limit on the number of tuners that will be displayed by the tray app but there is no limit on the number of tuners themselves.

Also note that if you are recording 2 or more channels that are on the same mux, NextPVR will record them all using a single tuner.
whurlston Wrote:There may be a limit on the number of tuners that will be displayed by the tray app but there is no limit on the number of tuners themselves.

Also note that if you are recording 2 or more channels that are on the same mux, NextPVR will record them all using a single tuner.

Thanks whurlston.
I'm aware of the multi-record on the same mux as I have been a gbpvr/npvr user for a few years.
Sorry, I didn't look at your join date/post count. I was just thinking of the influx of new users lately. Big Grin

I'm running 10 tuners myself although I haven't used the 3 analog tuners in quite some time.
badboyz Wrote:Hello,

I'm planning to overhaul my rig and will be replacing my single tuners to Quad tuners.

I will be using 2 x Hauppauge HVR2200 dual tuners(used) and 2 or 3 x Quad DVB-T2 tuners(new), total will be 12 or 16 tuners.

Before I buy the quad tuners, wonder is there any known issue or problem with NPVR or Windows 7(or 8) for using so many tuners?
Or is there anything I must take note of?

Thanks.
You should check with the vendor if the driver supports more than one tuner device on the same system. I ran into such an issue when I tried to use two Cinergy C PCI HD tuners on the same computer, it turned out that the driver was not written to support more than one card in the same pc.
+1 on the driver capability. Mainline devices seem to support multiple devices, the more obscure ones can cause problems.
Check before blowing lots of cash.
Also how many muxes do you have in your location - here in the UK we have 5 DVB-T and 1 DVB-T2 so with 6 Tuners (One of them T2) you could record all the TV and Radio Channels Broadcast - at the same time - If you really wanted all those shopping channels etc. I would think other hardware would be the weak link.

12 does seem like overkill.
And don't forget about hard drive throughput, recording that many streams at same time, and if you run comskip, might overload drive...
then of course there's the bit where we all wonder how 12 or 16 tuners could be for "personal, non-commercial use" as the license for NextPVR is limited to such use... then the OP assures us it is for personal use, sometimes with an odd explanation for how he really needs so many tuners, we all say "huh..." and move on. good thing I've saved us all that, eh?
My excuse for 10 tuners is "because I can". :p
Pages: 1 2