NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Can't find a bda.ini file. I should have one, right?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

My issue may lie in my installation as I did not download and install .NET 2.0 because, according to Microsoft, W7 x64 Home Edition supports it out of the box. I also did not download and install Direct X 9.0 since, as of a few months ago, I downloaded and installed the latest Direct X Runtime environment. I understand that, though current, this isn't what the 'before installation' asked for and as a result may not have installed all files necessary.

Regardless, when I go to Scan Channels under any of the tuners I receive a message that the device is unable to be started. I know that Avermedia support is nonexistent outside of WMC but it seems other members managed to fix this . Unfortunately, I am unable to find a bda.ini file anywhere on my computer, including the NPVR folder. Should the bda.ini file be somewhere or do I need to create it? Should simple un/reinstalling NextPVR solve the problem or is it more complicated than that?

Some useless background info:
I've been using WMC7 with 2 Avermedia HD Duets (one a Newegg white box, one from Fry's) with great success since 2010. I have an XBox 360 to use as an extender, and just about all the time it works flawlessly. I am, however, DONE with the lack of codec support built-in to this setup. Being the codec pack averse freak that I am and lover of XBMC and even my Boxee Box (despite its flaws), I have concluded that I want to take control of my legal OTA recordings and play them back with ease on any media player setup I choose. NextPVR recently popped up in -- I think -- an Engadget or maybe ArsTechnica article and, needless to say, I'm excited to give this a try. What you guys do is akin to magic for a peon like me, I think it's great that a program like this even exists, much less offers support.
no, bda.ini is only used for the old GB-PVR program, effectively retired for several years. NextPVR is a different program, and auto-detects digital tuner devices.

Please try a scan and then post your logs. Information on where to find your logs is in post 2 of the thread linked in my signature.
The Avermedia Duet should be supported out of the box, it was for me. Sub had to tweak the bda.ini file in GBPVR for it however, but I assume he included the updates in NPVR. Back in the day, I think some Duets reported in with different names, so that might be an issue. You might also run filtercheck.exe (in the NPVR programs folder, I think) and post the results.

Having thought about this for a minute, it seems that if the tuners are showing in the Devices tab, then the above is probably moot. If you can get to settings, I don't think .net or directx are issued. Directx only affects the NPVR menu system, and it will complain if it isn't installed and you'll see poor performance.

Sorry for the lack of help.