NextPVR Forums

Full Version: How to back up own settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Once set up NPVR more or less completely according to your needs, how could I make a back up of all your own settings, plug ins (their settings) etc. to use them e.g. on another system or when you have to re-set up Windows?
NextPVR stores everything in NPVR.db3 and config.xml. Copy those files and you can recreate your environment on another computer. NextPVR does store a few values in the registry but I do not know of any reason to copy the registry values. Installing the application sets the registry values correctly.

Plugins can and do go their own way. I suspect that most store settings in config.xml but some create their own xml files and some create database files. I suspect that mostly the plugin settings files are stored in the plugins folder.
Many thanks, Graham.

Quote:NextPVR stores everything in NPVR.db3 and config.xml. Copy those files and you can recreate your environment on another computer. NextPVR does store a few values in the registry but I do not know of any reason to copy the registry values. Installing the application sets the registry values correctly.
So to back up and easily use your own data / settings later is very easy.

Quote:Plugins can and do go their own way. I suspect that most store settings in config.xml but some create their own xml files and some create database files. I suspect that mostly the plugin settings files are stored in the plugins folder.
OK, that dosn't seem to be that easy to handle, to find out which plug in stores its data (with your own settings) in which folder. So the best seems to be just to copy these two files: NPVR.db3 and config.xml.

Many thanks gain.
I just backup the whole MydataDirectory\NPVR\Plugins directory, When setting up a new install I install all the plugins then just drop this backup directory over the top & all my previous setting (for the ones that store then in their own configs) return..... all the ones that store them in the main NextPVR config.xml can be a bit of a pain as these setting get over written when you install these plugins... so for them I have found it best to install them straight away on a clean install & then put my previously saved config.xml back in.
Thanks Jaggy,

So just copy MydataDirectory\NPVR\Plugins completely and NPVR.db3 and config.xml, then, on e.g. a new system, first install NPVR and all plugins you want or you had before, then copy the backed up NPVR.db3 and config.xml and the complete folder "Plugins" to the same place like they were before on the new system and you are done.

Thanks again.
That's the way I do it too...

Alex
Good to know, Alex,

Thank you.