NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Google Market Upload - Freeze during populating database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have not used nDroid before, so this has been my first attempt today. I had problems this morning, have reinstalled all, and still run into the same problem. I seem to have a proper connection to my nPVR server, and nDroid on my phone downloads the files, then extracts the files, then moves to populating database. The circle will continually run if I keep the screen active, swiping every minute to keep it from going to sleep. I have done this for 20 minutes, and not have it finish. If I let it go to sleep, the circle swirl stops moving, and then I get the message of nDroid stopping.

nDroid server is on a WinXP box, no firewall active, latest nPVR installed. 1.8.6 of nDroid on the phone, 1.8.4 on the XP machine. Google 4.1.1 installed on a Nexus S, still 2 GB available on the USB storage. 3 folders on the sdcard, logos with all channels, an empty skin folder, and a temp folder with 30 items (12 zip files).

I can run nTouch to view tv listings, haven't tried anything more. Logs included if this helps any. Hopefully this is user error!!
I can see the error report on my developers console page but it doesn't tell me much and just shows the database is locked for some reason. I'm not sure what would cause that.

You could try (on your phone) going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> nDroid -> Clear Data

That will set the app back to a "first run" state and it'll attempt a fresh start. If it does it again it would suggest there's a problem with the data files it is trying to import. Just out of interest how many TV channels do you have set up on your NextPVR system?

One last thing - that zip file you attached only has 3 log files - there should be others.
Sorry, I hadn't stopped the service and didn't notice that I had an error message in creating the zip file. I'll reattach now with all files.

As for tv channels, I have 3 separate tuners, and 150 channels combined between HD and SD. I haven't gotten around to assigning icons to all channels though.

Deleting data didn't help.
Hi - you didn't attach any more logs.
aargh...!
OK, I can't see anything nasty in any of those but I wasn't really expecting to. It was useful to see the size of your EPG guide zip files though.

Having 150 channels may well be the problem but I'd have expected your crash report to show an "Out of memory" error instead of the "Database locked" error. Could you unzip one of the zipped day files (e.g., day1xml.zip, day2xml.zip ...NOT sevenday.xml though) and let me know what size the actual .xml file is when it's unzipped.
Day 2 through 7 are 4gb each, 1gb for day 1 since I ran this in the afternoon. Each file has been unzipped on the phone. What is the normal channel size most people run?
Hopefully Brian is in bed so I will ask the obvious question...do you really mean gigabytes or megabytes. gigabytes would be a problem for an EPG XML file..
jghanisco Wrote:Day 2 through 7 are 4gb each, 1gb for day 1 since I ran this in the afternoon. Each file has been unzipped on the phone. What is the normal channel size most people run?
Are you sure that's giga-bytes? I was expecting big but 4GB for 1 day is massive even for 150 channels.

As for "normal" size of files, there isn't really any such thing. My line-up has 67 channels and a single day unzipped is about 1MB. It all comes down to number of channels, number of programmes per day and the amount of EPG detail for things like Description (radio stations have longer running shows often with only a brief description). It also depends on device capabilities (total memory / free memory available etc etc).

I'm guessing your unzipped files are actually 4MB / day??? But even so that's a lot of data for some devices and nDroid uses internal memory to process the data as well as holding the database itself. I'm still fairly sure the issue is a side-effect of running out of memory.

The only workaround at the moment is to cut down the channels in NextPVR. If there are channels you never watch / record then weeding out as many as possible will reduce the amount of data the nDroid Service generates. If that's not acceptable to you and you want to keep all channels, you'll have to wait for a future release of nDroid. I'm currently working on storing the database on SD card and also processing the EPG data in bite-size chunks.

Sorry I can't offer a quick fix - I'm not sure when the next release will be but I'll definitely be making more frequent releases than I did last year.
gEd Wrote:Hopefully Brian is in bed so I will ask the obvious question
Come now gEd surely you know me well enough by now - I go to sleep more easily when the sun is coming up. Smile
Pages: 1 2