NextPVR Forums

Full Version: npvr with ceton - bright house / time warner cable - live tv & premium channel issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm starting my thread in proper area. Initially i had issue with tv listing but that seems to work now. You can view the original thread and exchange with Martin @ following link:

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...nnel-setup

Setup [backend]
- ceton infinitv 4 PCI
- Win 7
- nextpvr with RC3 , SageDCT/NetworkRecorder plugin
- Provider : brighthouse / timewarner

Setup [frontend]
- ATV2 with XBMC 12 frodo
- Spare rpi which is collecting dust

Goal
Build a stable backend to view livetv + recordings via xbmc in entire house to save DVR fees(@17/month). At present i'm using WMC to do this and would like to shift the desktop out of living room to the office. I don't want to buy xbox for each of the other rooms to view live-tv or recordings. Therefore looking for nextpvr type backend.

Challenges
1) I can view and record basic channels on PC BUT premium channels from provider doesn't work e.g. Disney Jr, CNBC, CNN, Fox business, Comedy Central, etc. There is no video or audio. The video will freeze after 1-2 seconds or blank screen. Basic channels like NBC, CBS, FOX works fine.
2) Live tv doesn't play on xbmc. Sometimes i can hear audio but no video. It seems that when it does work the video is in background somewhere. the plugin doesn't bring it to the front and the view channel list remains in the foreground. This behavior is for basic channels only as premiums don't even work on PC. I must say navigation is very painful especially on ATV with apple remote.

Magic codec combo after multiple trials:
- Video Renderer: VMR9, Audio & music renderer: Default
- Video decoders: LAV [Cybercoders/ffdshow or Microsoft DOESN"T work]
- Audio decoders: ffdshow

I have attached related logs. SageDCT logs were collected by enabling verbose mode.
Time Warner has very few of their channels marked as "Copy Freely" anymore; none in my area. To use anything other than WMC you'll need something that you can connect to one of their Digital Boxes via Analog and then into your system, like a Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colossus. Even with your InfiniTV & Cable Card you're still locked out of NPVR because of the copy once flag. Yay DRM.
To summarize, I think you are asking a bunch of generic questions that you want a larger comment on and that is why you moved the thread.

1 - You are asking NextPVR users if it is a good whole house solution and replacement for WMC
2 - You are asking XBMC users if it is a good whole house solution and a replacement for WMC
3 - Is the ATV2 a good client for mpeg-ts recordings. That's easy and a no because it can't do 1080i

The other question is a lot more specific

4 - What about Ceton recordings from SageDCT

- Playback will vary by cable provider. Some will send them in a format the XBMC can't read
- Recordings can be post-processed so that XBMC will read them but LiveTV is not working.
- Fully patched NextPVR clients should be able to play these files, even with live tv
- Your non-working sample looks encrypted. Your working sample plays on all my NextPVR and XBMC client.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:To summarize, I think you are asking a bunch of generic questions that you want a larger comment on and that is why you moved the thread.
1 - You are asking NextPVR users if it is a good whole house solution and replacement for WMC
2 - You are asking XBMC users if it is a good whole house solution and a replacement for WMC
Martin

Yes. I am trying to figure out the best solution as what i am doing is not something new. Many people are looking to replace DVR with comparable solutions.

mvallevand Wrote:3 - Is the ATV2 a good client for mpeg-ts recordings. That's easy and a no because it can't do 1080i
What are my options to replace ATV2? There are so many options like Rpi, mini Android based sticks/mk's/etc.

mvallevand Wrote:4 - What about Ceton recordings from SageDCT
- Playback will vary by cable provider. Some will send them in a format the XBMC can't read
- Recordings can be post-processed so that XBMC will read them but LiveTV is not working.
- Fully patched NextPVR clients should be able to play these files, even with live tv
- Your non-working sample looks encrypted. Your working sample plays on all my NextPVR and XBMC client.
Which full patched NextPVR clients are you referring that can play these files+live tv?

By the way thanks for checking out the samples. If the channels are encrypted, then i think it will be a dead end with nextpvr. It kind of sucks. But there is nothing anyone can do. Damn cable providers...

At the end, is there any other solution that i can target to watch live tv + recordings from my MASTER WMC WITHOUT buying xbox's? I hope answer is not more PCs ;-)
pvrdiy Wrote:What are my options to replace ATV2? There are so many options like Rpi, mini Android based sticks/mk's/etc.

More and more XBMC choices are springing all the time as are cheaper more powerful PCs. I remember when SD mpeg wouldn't play on most devices and you needed a $1000 HTPC for DVD playback. These now play on the cheapest of devices.

Quote:Which full patched NextPVR clients are you referring that can play these files+live tv?

I expect a current NextPVR client will play any of valid Ceton streams. Of course sub and I don't live in the US so everything I say is based on samples.

Quote:By the way thanks for checking out the samples. If the channels are encrypted, then i think it will be a dead end with nextpvr. It kind of sucks. But there is nothing anyone can do. Damn cable providers...

Some people have had success getting some channels unlocked that were inadvertently not copy freely but premium channels like HBO and Showtime will likely not be available.

Quote:At the end, is there any other solution that i can target to watch live tv + recordings from my MASTER WMC WITHOUT buying xbox's? I hope answer is not more PCs ;-)

Ceton Echos for one.

Martin
Is the issue with encrypted channels a challenge for ALL PVRs except WMC? What about linux based PVRs like MythTV? Do they have capability to record encrypted channels like WMC?
Encrypted US cable channels are encrypted period. They are so locked down that you can't copy them freely and play them on different Windows PC's, like laptops, and if you have to recover you home PC kiss your files good-bye. I use an HDPVR with the analog hole, but it is a much more expensive solution $150 plus a STB @$300 plus the monthly charge than you were looking for.

Martin
pvrdiy Wrote:Is the issue with encrypted channels a challenge for ALL PVRs except WMC? What about linux based PVRs like MythTV? Do they have capability to record encrypted channels like WMC?
Yes, it's an issue for all PVRs other than WMC. Linux PVRs like MythTV have the same restrictions and can only record copy-freely or unencrypted channels.
Thanks everyone. I am going to stop venturing on this route. But i truly appreciate the support i got from this forum especially Martin. Hats off to your dedication and to the writers of nextpvr. Hopefully thing will change in future for good.