NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NPVR - streaming live TV possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

I have spent quite some time looking for a plugin / other way to add an URL to a web TV destination (and play it using VLC or whatever, no matter), to no avail. I have managed to do that for radio with the WebRadio plugin, but not with live (or recorded news etc but available via streaming off the web) TV.

Can anyone pls help in this matter? I cannot believe such a feature is not present - I can understand WMC, but NPVR? lol... I have not tried pasting a URL into WebRadio but I suspect it will not work (tried in WMC to access live TV using their Tune plugin actually, but no go there either. I live in Australia so I cannot even see the Internet TV option in WMC for example...). I know some / (all?) of this kind of stuff is Flash based - but perhaps not all? And if so then why not a plugin using Flash the same way it uses VLC (I may be saying something stupid here) ?

Thank you

PS I have looked at NEWA as well as they talk about streaming there but there was NO WAY of accessing the config page they talk about, no tabs on that anywhere just guide, recording etc... I am stumped...
Install this

Follow theses instructions

If you have questions or problems getting it to work, check or post here

Hope that helps Smile
The NetworkRecorder tuner plugin can be configured to add any http stream that provides an standard broadcast quality mpeg2 transport screen. In the code there is also experimental support for ffmpeg transcoding from many source formats (rtsp and upd included) to NextPVR compatible streams. The biggest issue with most video streaming sites especially the Flash and Windows Media sites is they tend to change and obfuscate the URL so the simple WebRadio approach won't work however getting quality EPG data is also difficult That is why I never released this functionality.

Honestly the support for live video streams and obscure video formats is much better in XBMC I don't see it work the effort to provide this in NextPVR.

Martin
@saitoh - Ahaha - I can see the config tabs in the screenshots of the updated version - but on my XP sp3 32 machine I was never able to start the updated NEWA. Now I am preparing a HTPC under win 7 64. Will try to update to new version, see what happens... Thanks

@mvallevand - Oh, well I can dig out the URLs, in VLC you can briefly see the address when it starts streaming and of course you can dig into the shortcut etc... Re XBMC, I never looked at it, I saw some discussion re XBMC with nPVR plugin and someone suggested rather than XBMC with nPVR plugin, just go with nPVR as it covers all the functions of XBMC - so I tried nPVR first I guess. I suspect there is no XBMC plugin for nPVR? :-) Anyway I will try what you suggested, many thanks. THis is only to watch some obscure news from some far away land every now and then without having to start a browser as this will be a HTPC and typing etc on a wireless KB will be a bit awkward...
One more question please - is there any elegant way to integrate a browser in Npvr, I realised the remote TV stations really should be seen through a browser but I woudl like to stay in nPVR and just have an option in the main menu... possible? Thank you
No, there is no integrated browser. NextPVR is very much aimed at tuner hardware for it source of tv rather than streaming tv over the internet.

One of the main reasons I've never looked to integrate internet TV channels is because these services are typically geographically locked, making it a pain to develop and test against the sorts of streaming services people want (like Hulu etc), since I cant access them from here in NZ.
Cool - no problem - I have installed the Programs plugin and that allow me to run Kylo or Firefox. I can do tha same in Win 7 MCE so I will keep both for now and make a choice later... MCE has no PIP but nicer subtitles. I did not manager to config ffmeg or whatever is called, in npvr I was never able to select ffmpeg fort any decoders - yes I did try to cinfigure ffmpeg and even trierd the reg hack program for x64 (I have win 7 x64)... was hoping ffmpeg would provide nicer subtitles and ... dont know... will keep trying. I have only installed win 7 3 days ago so it is a steep curve... been using xp for many years.
advarp Wrote:I was never able to select ffmpeg fort any decoders -
Many of use SAF to get decoders (including ffdshow). Send a forum Private Message to Hoborg to get the "unlocked" version.

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?50227-Saf6
advarp Wrote:Cool - no problem - I have installed the Programs plugin and that allow me to run Kylo or Firefox. I can do tha same in Win 7 MCE so I will keep both for now and make a choice later... MCE has no PIP but nicer subtitles. I did not manager to config ffmeg or whatever is called, in npvr I was never able to select ffmpeg fort any decoders - yes I did try to cinfigure ffmpeg and even trierd the reg hack program for x64 (I have win 7 x64)... was hoping ffmpeg would provide nicer subtitles and ... dont know... will keep trying. I have only installed win 7 3 days ago so it is a steep curve... been using xp for many years.
ffmpeg isn't directshow decoders, so I assume you mean the "ffdshow" (which is a directshow wrapper on the ffmpeg libraries). If you want to use ffdshow, make sure you install the 32 bit version.

What type of subtitles are you talking about? If you're talking about Teletext Subtitles or DVD Subtitles, then the choice of decoder wont make any difference, and you'll get the same thing. If you're talking about other types of subtitles, like those included in MKV files, then the choice of decoders and directshow filters will make a difference.
sub Wrote:ffmpeg isn't directshow decoders, so I assume you mean the "ffdshow" (which is a directshow wrapper on the ffmpeg libraries). If you want to use ffdshow, make sure you install the 32 bit version.

What type of subtitles are you talking about? If you're talking about Teletext Subtitles or DVD Subtitles, then the choice of decoder wont make any difference, and you'll get the same thing. If you're talking about other types of subtitles, like those included in MKV files, then the choice of decoders and directshow filters will make a difference.

Lol sorry, ffdshow, I was in a hurry when I wrote that... I meant subtitles for live tv, in npvr they look rather skinny and strange, in MCE (win 7 64) they look better... and YES I woudl like to play MKVs with subtitles too, I have a few MKVs already...

I have downloaded hobring's pack, will message him to unlock, but do I need to download ffdshow as well? and why not the 64 bit experimental?

Many Thanks! getting there... for radio I managed to add my own stations in webradio, for internet tv (AU) I integrated Kylo and with a few bookmarks it works ok (I only need a few links, not muchg time to spend on tv lol).
Pages: 1 2