NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Options for streaming live tv
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi all,

I have a need to stream live tv across the internet to another PC. The capture card is a Colossus (via HDMI from directv box). I've tried using wintv extend for this purpose but get constant buffering although the internet connections should suffice for this purpose. Since I use NPVR on the server I thought I would try using that instead of extend. So I started searching and reading.

It seems to me that NPVR offers at least 2 ways to stream live TV. One is to use the capability built into NPVR and the other is to use the NEWA plugin. In order to focus my searching and reading is one of these options better, ie, more reliable/better quality than the other?

FYI. both PCs (server and client) use WinXP SP3

Thanks
NEWA is the only way. Nothing is "built-in" to NPVR for this, other than the fact that NEWA comes bundled with NPVR. There are instructions for remote streaming in the wiki.
You can use the X-NEWA addon in XBMC to talk to NEWA over the internet.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:You can use the X-NEWA addon in XBMC to talk to NEWA over the internet.

Martin

Would that way represent the best chance for success? I would like to have as little disruption on the other PC (client) as possible in terms off adding software/configuring. A simple browser would be best except if that lowers the chance for ongoing success.
From the host perspective the impact of vlc transcoding via http would be the same. I've been connecting to vlc seamlessly with xbmc something I could never achieve using firefox or chrome.

Martin
I agree with Martin...
Thanks everybody. I will continue searching and reading but at least I'm focused.
I've tried and tried and tried and tried and am not achieving success.

Server: XP SP3 w/ Colossus card fed from directv box via HDMI (basically all is HD. a 1/2 hr sitcom = about 2.2G in size). Wired measured connection @ about 1.4 mbps upload. NPVR 2.5.9 all patched (as far as I know). Server/host is in Indiana. Router has port 8866 forwarded.

Client: XP Sp3 wired measured @ about 8 mbps download. Latest xbmc (frodo) with NPVR plugin enabled. Client is in Florida.

On the client when I go to XBMC, "LIve TV", "Tv Channels" is brings up the list on channels along the left side. No matter which channel I choose, it does tune to that channel but with constant buffering that never ends. What am I missing? Can this simply not be done with a colossus and HD channels?
With no transcoding your Colossus will need 12-18 Mbs upload with no hiccups If you the web server sees a public IP you need this in config.xml

<AllowRemoteStreaming>true</AllowRemoteStreaming>

Martin
Thats what I figured. Is there an easy way to add transcoding into the equation for live tv?
Pages: 1 2 3