NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NextPVR has encountered a problem and needs to close....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have version 2.5.9 running on WinXP SP3. It's been fine for months, but now NPVR doesn't start, but only give the "needs to close" error. My log file is below, could I get a suggestion for how to fix it? I tried a reload of NextPVR and of the Hauppauge drivers, no luck.

[...startup]
2013-03-11 17:45:53.968 [ERROR][1] Unexpected error loading (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\NPVR\config.xml): System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
at NUtility.SettingsHelper.Reload()
2013-03-11 17:45:53.968 [ERROR][1] Unexpected error parsing int setting: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at NUtility.SettingsHelper.GetSetting(String xpath, String defaultValue)
at NUtility.SettingsHelper.GetSetting(String xpath, Boolean defaultValue)
Can you zip and attach your C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\NPVR\config.xml
your config.xml is corrupt.

you can either open it up in notepad and see if you can fix whatever is wrong (use Config-master-dont-edit.xml for reference), or just rename it to config.bad or something like that and then run NextPVR.exe; it will create a new config.xml. you'll have to re-configure some settings, though most important stuff like channels, epg, recordings, etc. will come from the database.

(or just do what sub said... I got interrupted by my kids while typing the above)
attached, thanks
it's been wiped out (13206 bytes, all 00) as I suspected. just delete it and run nextpvr.exe. (or restore from a backup, if you have such a thing)
Also, if you need to edit config.xml remember to use notepad or other text editor - not wordpad or a word processor.

Alex
If you have no backups, you might have a valid copy in config-old.xml Copy that to config.xml and run

NextPVR.exe -upgrade

Martin
Thanks for the help! Deleting the (empty) config file and rebooting allowed NextPVR to start, Ijust need to retweak my settings and I should be fine again.