NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Quick walkthrough of nDroid set-up (phone side)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am a recent transplant from GBPVR to NPVR. Trying to get the nDroid set up and I have a question in which I wasn't able the find the answer to through searching.

Set-up on the Phone side of things:

Server Name:
Can stay as "Default"
Server URL(Wi-Fi):
IP Address of the computer that is hosting the NPVR Software
Server URL (Mobile)
This is the one that I have no idea where to start; is this my phone carrier server?:eek: (eg. AT&T)
Port:
Port to use to access info (default 8790 or change in both nDroid settings and Web server tab in NPVR) Followed by allowing access through any exisiting firewalls on computer.
Userdame:
User name set in web server settings on NPVR
Password
Password set in web server settings on NPVR

If I missed it in the searching my apologies, it just doesn't seem like I was able to find the info.

I am trying to set it up on a motorola atrix if that is any relevance.

Here is what I found for opening ports
isuzj Wrote:Set-up on the Phone side of things:

Server Name:
Can stay as "Default"
The server name is only used by the nDroid app to store the network information in its own database. At the moment nDroid can only control 1 npvr server which is why that box is greyed out and the name can't be changed. At some point I'll add the ability to control multiple servers so each will have their own network details.

Quote:Server URL(Wi-Fi):
IP Address of the computer that is hosting the NPVR Software
Correct.

Quote:Server URL (Mobile)
This is the one that I have no idea where to start; is this my phone carrier server?:eek: (eg. AT&T)
This is the external IP address of your home router. If your broadband provider has given you a static IP address use that or you can use DynDNS to register your router's IP address. If you only intend to use nDroid at home then the Wi-Fi address is all you need to enter. If you do want to use nDroid across the internet, however, you not only need to enter the external IP address into the nDroid app, but you also need to set your router to forward traffic aimed at the nDroid ports to your npvr server.

Quote:Port:
Port to use to access info (default 8790 or change in both nDroid settings and Web server tab in NPVR) Followed by allowing access through any exisiting firewalls on computer.
Yes for the first part but don't set the npvr web server to the same port. The npvr web server is completely separate from the nDroid Service.

As for the firewall settings, yes they need to allow the nDroid ports incoming traffic. nDroid uses ports 8790 and 8791 by default and the second port is always the first port +1. If you change it to 9000 (for example) your firewall needs to be open for both 9000 and 9001.

Quote:Userdame:
User name set in web server settings on NPVR
Password
Password set in web server settings on NPVR
Correct.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Cheers,
Brian
Quote:Let me know if you still have problems.

Ok so I haven't gotten it working yet, something is a miss, it just says downloading files... after a while it says download failed. But I am checking to make sure I got everything set right.

Quote:This is the external IP address of your home router. If your broadband provider has given you a static IP address use that or you can use DynDNS to register your router's IP address. If you only intend to use nDroid at home then the Wi-Fi address is all you need to enter. If you do want to use nDroid across the internet, however, you not only need to enter the external IP address into the nDroid app, but you also need to set your router to forward traffic aimed at the nDroid ports to your npvr server.

Yes for the first part but don't set the npvr web server to the same port. The npvr web server is completely separate from the nDroid Service.

So in order to make this work, I need to find the external IP address of my router right? I found instructions here

I have a cable modem, going to a switch, one part of the switch goes to my DVR the other to a wireless router. Which the DVR is also connected to( I think is unessesary right?) but it is still the wireless router that I need the IP from? My DVR should be coming from the Wireless router not the switch (Just figuring this out)

this is the router I have D-Link Wireless N

I am new to both the NPVR and the networking, it seems that I need to get my home-Network squared away before I start this up. I am spelling out my issues though so hopefully this can clarify it for others in the future too.

It should Go- Modem-Wireless Router-switch-DVR.....

Thanks for the support thus far.
I can really only give advice/support for nDroid and not much on how your home network is set up as everybody's network will be slightly different. You are right, however, you do need to make sure your network is fully functional before you'll be able to get nDroid working.

In saying that, I'll do my best.

From what you've explained, I would have a wired connection from the cable modem to the switch and a wired connection from the switch to the wireless router and another wired connection from the switch to the DVR. I wouldn't have a connection from the DVR directly to the wireless router - it might cause problems and confusion.

The IP address you need to put into the Server URL(Wi-Fi) field of the nDroid app with the above configuration is actually going to be the "wired" IP address of the PC's network card. As long as your phone can connect to your DVR through the wireless router, it will work (in fact it's the only way it can work).

For the moment leave the Server URL (Mobile) side of things aside as that is going to need port-forwarding.

Cheers,
Brian
I got everything working as far as the addresses and such.

I was using the IP of my computer in the Port forwarding according to my PC, not my router:

start: cmd: ipconfig--- it was the IPV4 address was the one i needed

I opened the ports in the Windows 7 firewall as well as all of my #'s and passwords match up.

all I missing is a few channels of EPG. Got it all figured out!!

Thanks Brian

I hope this spells it out more for ppl in the future.
That's good to know. Smile

Cheers,
Brian
where does the nDroid look for the videos and music?

I was messing with the folders on the PC and now i can't see any of my recordings on my nDroid app.
It looks at what you've specified in NPVR/Settings/Media Folders...

Alex
isuzj Wrote:where does the nDroid look for the videos and music?

I was messing with the folders on the PC and now i can't see any of my recordings on my nDroid app.
Alex is correct. The nDroid Service looks at the npvr config.xml file to get the media folder paths. I can't remember but it might be that it does this only when the service starts up. Try restarting the nDroid service to force it to reload all of the settings.

Cheers,
Brian
bgowland Wrote:I can't remember but it might be that it does this only when the service starts up. Try restarting the nDroid service to force it to reload all of the settings.
Yep... if you change your NPVR settings, you need to restart the nDroid service to see the changes on your device...

Alex
Pages: 1 2