NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Firewall oddities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Brian

I have added an inbound firewall rule for the ndroid service in the win7 and have an entry for UDP and TCP in domain, private and public.
I can stream content to my phone ok in nDroid (and access NEWA FWIW) but I can't update the EPG in ndroid unless I disable the windows firewall on the server.

What am I missing?

Also, can you remind me where I set the streaming options as mine are greyed out.
gEd Wrote:Also, can you remind me where I set the streaming options as mine are greyed out.
What version of NPVR are you running on your server?
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...post451236

Alex
2.60 (pre-release). Will try again with 2.6.2. That makes sense as I was able to access the options with 2.5.12 iirc.
cheers
gEd Wrote:Hi Brian

I have added an inbound firewall rule for the ndroid service in the win7 and have an entry for UDP and TCP in domain, private and public.
I can stream content to my phone ok in nDroid (and access NEWA FWIW) but I can't update the EPG in ndroid unless I disable the windows firewall on the server.

What am I missing?
nDroid does everything using HTTP (over TCP) so you don't need the UDP rule. As long as your firewall allows incoming HTTP / TCP requests on port 8790 and 8791 then it should work. If you change the base port (8790) then just make sure you open what you've changed it and base port +1.

I think there are issues with Windows Firewall if you only assign rules to the nDroidService.exe - open the actual port numbers themselves instead.

Quote:Also, can you remind me where I set the streaming options as mine are greyed out.
As Alex has shown with the link in his post, the streaming transcode option is only available with the latest version of NPVR. At the time I released the latest nDroid version, sub was working on v2.5.11 which added the transcode option - the newly released v2.6.2 of NPVR should work and the nDroid app should detect it and the options won't be greyed out. I haven't tested it though. I'll have a quick look in a minute.

Cheers,
Brian
gEd Wrote:2.60 (pre-release). Will try again with 2.6.2. That makes sense as I was able to access the options with 2.5.12 iirc.
cheers
Oops - cross posted. I'm just checking this now.
WRT the transcode options...I blame it on sub. Rolleyes

OK, I admit it, the nDroid app's version-checking code is broken. :o

I've fixed it for the next release.
bgowland Wrote:OK, I admit it, the nDroid app's version-checking code is broken. :o
I suspected as much, but I didn't really like to say... :oWink

Alex
ACTCMS Wrote:I suspected as much, but I didn't really like to say... :oWink

Alex
It never ceases to amaze me how something as simple as using == instead of >= on one line of code can mess things up. I suspect I might have been sober when I wrote that bit. Big Grin
bgowland Wrote:nDroid does everything using HTTP (over TCP) so you don't need the UDP rule. As long as your firewall allows incoming HTTP / TCP requests on port 8790 and 8791 then it should work. If you change the base port (8790) then just make sure you open what you've changed it and base port +1.

I think there are issues with Windows Firewall if you only assign rules to the nDroidService.exe - open the actual port numbers themselves instead.

I removed all rules related to the ndroidservice.exe and created a new port-based rule for 8790-8791 and it worked perfectly. Many tx.

Looking forward to the next release :-)

running nDroid on my shiney Nexus 4. It very very nearly copes with native Freeview HD content. great picture.
gEd Wrote:I removed all rules related to the ndroidservice.exe and created a new port-based rule for 8790-8791 and it worked perfectly. Many tx.

Looking forward to the next release :-)
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't run a SW firewall myself but I suspected that was the problem. Firewall rules based on an EXE don't necessarily allow incoming traffic.

The next release is working for me and I just need to review past posts to see if there are any issues I haven't fixed yet.

Quote:running nDroid on my shiney Nexus 4. It very very nearly copes with native Freeview HD content. great picture.
Very nice - I've seen some good reviews. I'm still with my HTC Desire which is still a good phone but recently bought a Nexus 7 because I want to add better tablet support for nDroid.

Cheers,
Brian
Pages: 1 2