NextPVR Forums

Full Version: \\server\share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A couple of trivial things for the very end of your todo list ... I have some recordings that have been sent to a network share using the NextPVR Archive function. The folder is defined in NextPVR Settings as \\server\share. nDroid seems to be unable to play these. It's easy to work around by Archiving them back to C:\ (or, perhaps, by using a mapped drive letter) so not a problem. Plus, it would be elegant to be able to specify a video player in nDroid Settings and avoid the popup that asks me to choose a video player. (Do you remember how I began the post with "trivial"). Thanks for listening.
Graham Wrote:The folder is defined in NextPVR Settings as \\server\share. nDroid seems to be unable to play these. It's easy to work around by Archiving them back to C:\ (or, perhaps, by using a mapped drive letter) so not a problem.
To be honest, I can't remember how the nDroid Service handles network folders for media (I'll check later) but I do know the app itself doesn't attempt to connect directly (Android doesn't have native SMB support). I think mapping the shares to a drive letter at the server was the best way to do it. I did test it at the time I added support for shares but don't use it myself so will have to refresh my memory.

Quote:Plus, it would be elegant to be able to specify a video player in nDroid Settings and avoid the popup that asks me to choose a video player. (Do you remember how I began the post with "trivial"). Thanks for listening.
I'll look into it but the problem is with targeting specific 3rd-party apps - the Android OS isn't designed that way. The "chooser" (popup) you see is actually created by the OS itself and not nDroid. I'll do some reading.

Cheers,
Brian
Graham Wrote:I have some recordings that have been sent to a network share using the NextPVR Archive function. The folder is defined in NextPVR Settings as \\server\share. nDroid seems to be unable to play these.
I specify all my media folders as \\server\share and nDroid plays fine from them - maybe a permissions problem?

Alex
ACTCMS Wrote:I specify all my media folders as \\server\share and nDroid plays fine from them - maybe a permissions problem?

Alex
Thanks Alex, I didn't get a chance to look into it yet but the account the nDroid Service is running as will certainly need permission to access the remote shares.

Cheers,
Brian
ACTCMS Wrote:maybe a permissions problem?
You may be correct. On investigation, I find that the NextPVR recording service is not using Local System account. I also find that I can't remember the password for the account that it is using so attempts to change the nDroid service are not going well. I can't remember why I changed the recording service (probably to get archiving working ... the irony) and I don't understand why the password is not one of the usual suspects.

I'll start again tomorrow. Thanks for the prompt.
ACTCMS Wrote:maybe a permissions problem?
I have confirmed that it was a permission problem. I now have the nDroid service running using the same user account as the NextPVR recording service and it's all good.
I suspect that last night's password problems were due to failing batteries in a wireless keyboard. The same password is working today with new batteries.
Apologies for the red herring and thanks for the fix.
Graham Wrote:I suspect that last night's password problems were due to failing batteries in a wireless keyboard. The same password is working today with new batteries.
What type of batteries do you use? I always use rechargeables in wireless devices since they tend to 'die' suddenly rather than fading away over time.

Alex
ACTCMS Wrote:I always use rechargeables in wireless devices
Me too but they make my Logitech keyboard go bonkers when they fade. I deduced that I had a problem later in the evening when I paused the playback of a recording and the playback restarted and re-paused several times all by itself. A symptom that is spooky and had me utterly baffled back in the day when it first happened.
Graham Wrote:Me too but they make my Logitech keyboard go bonkers when they fade.
Mine just dies - I guess the Logitech just doesn't know when to give up... Smile

Alex